Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » for the love of Kalhoun!!!!!!!!! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page for the love of Kalhoun!!!!!!!!! 2 Votes - Average Rating: 9.502 Votes - Average Rating: 9.502 Votes - Average Rating: 9.502 Votes - Average Rating: 9.502 Votes - Average Rating: 9.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

for the love of Kalhoun!!!!!!!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That's right, a Kalhoun appreciation thread...

Great and underrated album.
"Virgin Falls" is my current fav...

03-27-2008 18:15 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I like it better than Bibleland. Big Grin

If You Want To is a rock anthem up there with the best of them. Tracking the Amorous Man is another favorite.

03-27-2008 18:19 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
Mind Peach

Thread Starter Thread Started by colorblind
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

yes and yes!

03-27-2008 18:26 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I dont like one better than the other..
but I think its more of a melodic thing- for sure.

my (today) fave is If You Want To..I dont thinkit coincidink that it showed up on Mutt.

Virgin falls- YES- though the subject matter is depressing (to me)

Gate of The World is a great tug too- and a better hope Cool

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-27-2008 19:26 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

I love the combination of "Note To Anna" and "Father Explains". The whole album deals with loss on an entirely different level - loss of peace, of culture, of trust, of confidence in the norms of this world. Interesting stuff.
03-27-2008 20:19 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I think the whole "new world order" stuff was great, very topical at the time and today, and had lots of great thought provoking stuff. I like Father Explains and Amorous Man, mostly because they are the story of my life, er , no, cause they are great, I also like Kalhoun, the title song that is.

03-27-2008 20:42 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Yeah Terry talked about his 'political' influenced writings at one time. He being a moderate conservative, according to him, has been critical of not only the left but the right as well. He said he will often comment on whoever is in power at the time, but that shouldn't cause someone to think the other side is off the hook.

Christians can be critical of Christianity and the Church, without rejecting Christianity or the Church itself. Steve Taylor's "We Don't Need No Color Code" for example is a Christian saying there is no room for bigotry in Christianity. Its not a slam of Christianity as a whole, in fact it is a defense of true Christianity.

I think its a sign that a person is really searching for truth, when they can see the faults in their own cause/movement/group/beleif systems. The much more scary place to be is thinking your political/religious movement has it all right.

03-27-2008 21:36 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Absolutely, I think its healthy and wise to think that way.

03-27-2008 21:49 Ron E is online Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

Cool! I started a Kalhoun appreciation thread awhile back (it's currently on page 5, under the title "It's just a sacred kinda thing"), but it derailed pretty quickly. People started talking about other albums and such. This board's full of ADD'ers, I tell ya.
03-27-2008 21:56 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Yes it is.

03-27-2008 21:58 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

From the liner notes about the song Kalhoun:

The new world order vs. the kingdom of God. The unholy work, yer little gawd and the tower of Babel all rolled up into a great big cowpie with a surprise center. It's a message in tongues with no interpretation. It's religious Fahrvergnugen. We all love to say it, but what the heck does it mean? It's every "ism" mankind has ever mindlessly embraced. Yeehaw! Somebody stamp me and pass the jello salad.

I wish all the albums had liner notes....

03-27-2008 22:06 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by James
Cool! I started a Kalhoun appreciation thread awhile back (it's currently on page 5, under the title "It's just a sacred kinda thing"Wink , but it derailed pretty quickly. People started talking about other albums and such. This board's full of ADD'ers, I tell ya.

Where have all the cowboys gone?

They were here just a minute ago - now I can't find them. Confused
03-27-2008 23:55 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by jyroflux
I wish all the albums had liner notes....

Anyone wanna whip some up? Go with the Steely Dan 'quick read notes' format found on Can't Buy A Thrill and Countdown To Ecstasy (and resurrected for Alive In America), for greatest visceral impact.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wakachiwaka: 03-27-2008 23:58.

03-27-2008 23:58 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
This board's full of ADD'ers, I tell ya.

Hey! Wanna ride bikes???

03-28-2008 05:47 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: for the love of Kalhoun!!!!!!!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by colorblind
That's right, a Kalhoun appreciation thread...

Great and underrated album.

I agree. Here is a lit of my favorites.

"Big, Warm, Sweet, Interior Glowing"
"If You Want To"
"Gloryhound"
"Prayer Wheel"
"Father Explains"

03-28-2008 05:52 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
quote:
Cool! I started a Kalhoun appreciation thread awhile back (it's currently on page 5, under the title "It's just a sacred kinda thing"Wink , but it derailed pretty quickly. People started talking about other albums and such. This board's full of ADD'ers, I tell ya.

Where have all the cowboys gone?

They were here just a minute ago - now I can't find them. Confused

Hey! Wanna ride bikes???

03-28-2008 05:53 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
Absolutely, I think its healthy and wise to think that way.

ME THREE!

03-28-2008 09:58 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Mind Peach

Thread Starter Thread Started by colorblind

Where are these said "liner notes"? I have the CD sleeve in my hand and I cannot find liner notes...only lyrics.
Was there different pressings of the artwork, ect?

03-28-2008 10:45 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

cb-
on the DA .com site page- under discography..

c and p

Daniel Amos
Kalhoun
1991 Brainstorm Artists, Intl. Records
Produced By Terry Taylor and da for Stunt Records

Big, Warm, Sweet, Interior Glowing
Affectionately referred to as The Big, Warm Swede in the studio. An expose on elitest, self-appointed visionaries or oracles of God. A call for accountability. A call for Ed to use brushes on his snare.

If You Want To
Two people choose love and change the world in a small way. Romeo and Juliet with a happy ending or Roy and Dale riding a stuffed "Trigger" into the sunset. Eternal resolve.

Kalhoun
The new world order vs. the kingdom of God. The unholy work, yer little gawd and the tower of Babel all rolled up into a great big cowpie with a surprise center. It's a message in tongues with no interpretation. It's religious Fahrvergnugen. We all love to say it, but what the heck does it mean? It's every "ism" mankind has ever mindlessly embraced. Yeehaw! Somebody stamp me and pass the jello salad.

I Will Return
Apocalyptic blues in the big city. The Mall All Over the World finally meets the wrecking ball. Christ returns. Metal cocoons sprout flying nuns. (the graves were opened?) Finis.
NOTE: No hallucinogens were taken during the writing of this song.

Tracking the Amorous Man
Story board pictures of divine vs. natural love. Inspired by Barry White and the Bible

Virgin Falls
"We're all sinners and need redemption and you can take that to the bank!", said Robert Blake, former Little Rascal.

Gloryhound
Nationalism as religion accompanied by drunken pedal-steel guitar riffs.

Prayer Wheel
The call to shame, sorrow, repentance and prayer on a national scale. The Tibetan practice of building prayer wheels provided some interesting images. "Hey kids, let's have a burger bash and build us a prayer wheel, then we'll get the high-priestess of American culture, Vanna White, to give it a great big spin."

Note to Anna
Everybody loves a mystery and a refreshing beverage. Was it murder? Suicide? A grunion-hunting accident? 'Tis a puzzlement, composed of human frailty and inability to ultimately save the soul. Only Christ can and will.

Father Explains
Taken from the "it's a bad place and I wouldn't want to live there" file. Songwriter imagines he's a young man trapped in the horrors of life, war and death in a third world country.
Ouch.

The Gate of the World
It's the global village and Christ is among the villagers. He's not hard to miss- He's the thirsty child and the homeless, hungry beggar. The grand finale.

03-28-2008 10:49 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

whoah nelly!!!!!!!!!1

VFs little note-
from ROBERT BLAKE??

things took a bit o turn after that was written Confused

03-28-2008 10:51 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » for the love of Kalhoun!!!!!!!!!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH