Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Making God Smile » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Making God Smile
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Scrimshaw Nick Scrimshaw Nick is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-387.jpg

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Bad news, Mom. I promised my soul to the devil this afternoon." "Oh? That recently?" ~ Calvin and Hobbes

Making God Smile Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've been out of the loop recently. Frown What is Making God Smile? Where can I get a copy?

Somebody cured my political apathy but I'm not allowed to say who it is in a signature on the Message Boards
08-07-2002 18:18 Scrimshaw Nick is offline Send an Email to Scrimshaw Nick Search for Posts by Scrimshaw Nick Add Scrimshaw Nick to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Scrimshaw Nick: piratescrimshaw
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It is a various artists' tribute to Brian Wilson. See:

www.pastemusic.com

08-07-2002 18:53 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I really should get that one....

BD

08-07-2002 23:14 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork

BD

yeah so should I..... any day now....
08-07-2002 23:24 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
quote:
Originally posted by BigDork

BD

yeah so should I..... any day now....

but I haven't paid for mine yet Frown

08-07-2002 23:26 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

thanks fer remindin' me way farin' Nick! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I forgot about that'n!

Making God Smile

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
08-07-2002 23:33 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

quote:
Originally posted by ™
I forgot about that'n!

Making God Smile

Get it. It's great. I enjoy it a lot.

-- aotp
08-08-2002 09:06 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Robert H
Dark Steamy Cabbage

I thought I would post my thoughts about Terry's contributions to Making God Smile.

Love and Mercy - Randy Stonehill (produced by Terry)
Absolutely beautiful!! This is not a song I was previously familiar with. It's on one of Brian's solo records. Beautiful clarity in the production. Randy's voice is a perfect match with Brian's melody and the childlike innocent yet profound lyrics. Randy and Terry's harmonys are seamless. You can't tell who's who... My favorite of the Terry contributions to the record.

Vegatables - Terry
Very good. A goofy song sung with soul and humor by Terry. In the liner notes he admits that "Meal" off of Shotgun Angel was heavily influenced by this song. I've never thought of that connection, but it makes sense.

With Me Tonight - The Lost Dogs
I hate to say it, but this one dissappointed me. It's a beautiful song but the Dog's version is kinda stiff and souless. Brian's music is heavily influenced by 50's and early 60's doo wap and R and B. The Dogs version while very competently sung somehow manages to strip the soul out of the original. In order to work, the song needs to groove. I like version on Smiley Smile much better.

What do other's think??
08-08-2002 18:43 Robert H is offline Send an Email to Robert H Search for Posts by Robert H Add Robert H to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

don't know, I haven't heard it yet....

Crying

08-08-2002 19:51 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

BrianWilson.com and Beachboys.com both discussed the album on their boards as well.

The whole thing is really good, I play it in my car
often. Randy's track is really stunning, Rick Altizer
shows up on it as does Mr Sprinkle and Jeff Elbel.
Jimmy A and Kevin (DC Talk).. Sixpense, and Keaggy..
great songs and great musicians.

We were told Brian Wilson listened to it on break
while recording his new album, and liked what he heard.

jason t

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-08-2002 23:00 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

How cool is that? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

We were told Brian Wilson listened to it on break
while recording his new album, and liked what he heard.

jason t

-

Wow!

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
08-08-2002 23:12 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

quote:
Originally posted by Robert H
I thought I would post my thoughts about Terry's contributions to Making God Smile.

Love and Mercy - Randy Stonehill (produced by Terry)
Absolutely beautiful!! This is not a song I was previously familiar with. It's on one of Brian's solo records. Beautiful clarity in the production. Randy's voice is a perfect match with Brian's melody and the childlike innocent yet profound lyrics. Randy and Terry's harmonys are seamless. You can't tell who's who... My favorite of the Terry contributions to the record.

Vegatables - Terry
Very good. A goofy song sung with soul and humor by Terry. In the liner notes he admits that "Meal" off of Shotgun Angel was heavily influenced by this song. I've never thought of that connection, but it makes sense.

With Me Tonight - The Lost Dogs
I hate to say it, but this one dissappointed me. It's a beautiful song but the Dog's version is kinda stiff and souless. Brian's music is heavily influenced by 50's and early 60's doo wap and R and B. The Dogs version while very competently sung somehow manages to strip the soul out of the original. In order to work, the song needs to groove. I like version on Smiley Smile much better.

What do other's think??

I LOVE "Love and Mercy." What a great track!! The lyrics and the vocals on it are so beautiful.

I can see the connection between "Vegetables" and "Meal." I love the song "Meal," but "Vegetables" is perhaps a little too wacky for me. I need to be in the right mood for it.

"With Me Tonight" is growing on me the more and more I listen to it.

I put all three of the tracks on my "Terry Besides" CD-R which has been playing nonstop in my car for almost a week, so I hear these tracks a lot. But "Love and Mercy" is the one to get!!

-- aotp
08-09-2002 11:06 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

I had read that "Vegatables" was written in response to some fan writting the Beach Boys and telling them what their favorite vegatable was..

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
08-09-2002 18:35 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
I had read that "Vegatables" was written in response to some fan writting the Beach Boys and telling them what their favorite vegatable was..

And we thought we were strange. Big Grin

I can see it now.

Dear Terry,

This letter might save your career!!!

I like Carrots.

Yours in grace

Andrew
08-11-2002 16:27 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

talk about your wacky fan letter

Tongue

08-11-2002 18:07 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
jamespop jamespop is a male
Luteous Llama

Dear Terry,

This letter might save your career!!!

I like Carrots.

Yours in grace

Andrew
[/QUOTE]

lol!Tongue
08-11-2002 19:43 jamespop is offline Send an Email to jamespop Search for Posts by jamespop Add jamespop to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Making God Smile

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH