Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » John Wayne » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page John Wayne
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Lucy Lucy is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 05-16-2002

John Wayne Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've been really diggin John Wayne lately. Listening to it a lot in the car and just can't begin to praise it enough. One of Terry's best solo efforts. I like it as much as Avacado for totaly different reasons.
Lucy
07-23-2002 12:51 Lucy is offline Send an Email to Lucy Homepage of Lucy Search for Posts by Lucy Add Lucy to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Lucy
I've been really diggin John Wayne lately. Listening to it a lot in the car and just can't begin to praise it enough. One of Terry's best solo efforts. I like it as much as Avacado for totaly different reasons.
Lucy

because they are totaly different than each other...Wink

I love them both, JW rocks and AF rocks in it's own way!

BD
07-23-2002 14:01 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

John Wayne was my favorite TST album. I think I may like LITTLE, big better. But I John Wayne comes first with perhaps LITTLE, big and A Briefing for the Ascent tying for second.

-- taotp
07-23-2002 14:16 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

John Wayne is an awesome solo effort. I am sad to say that I still don't own AF, but I have heard it. They are very different in style, but I'm still partial to JW.
LK-9

07-23-2002 16:01 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

I really like JW... kinda reminds me of Wilco, Summerteeth era... but I like AF a whole lot as well.

07-23-2002 18:04 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Lucy Lucy is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 05-16-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by Lucy
no offense but Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I personally think that AF blows away most of the Dogs stuff as far as songwritting goes, and I love the Dogs. It's just soooo good, and soo rootsy. I could listen to it every day several times.

LK9, you really should get AF, a fan of american music like you is really missing something incredible.

Dr rich, you got it right on the money about the comparison to Wilco-Summerteeth. I think we've discussed this but it seems that Terry's and Jeff's approaches to production are very different, but similar results...
Jonny
07-23-2002 18:24 Lucy is offline Send an Email to Lucy Homepage of Lucy Search for Posts by Lucy Add Lucy to your Buddy List
A Hot Wolly

Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

For some reason AF is the TST album I play the least. Just can't get into it all that much. And I even go country line dancing every Friday.

-- taotp
07-23-2002 18:35 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

I like John Wayne better than AF.

07-24-2002 17:29 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Lucy
Dr rich, you got it right on the money about the comparison to Wilco-Summerteeth. I think we've discussed this but it seems that Terry's and Jeff's approaches to production are very different, but similar results...
Jonny

Yeah and it turns out TST is a Wilco fan, go figure eh?
Wink

07-24-2002 17:54 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Author of the Post
For some reason AF is the TST album I play the least. Just can't get into it all that much. And I even go country line dancing every Friday.

-- taotp

AF is so bitter-sweet. It makes me want to cry like a little school girl whenever I play it.

Crying

see? like that Smile )

07-24-2002 17:55 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:

-- taotp

AF is so bitter-sweet. It makes me want to cry like a little school girl whenever I play it.

Crying

see? like that Smile )

I don't cry as much as when I first played it, but I still get a little misty eyed at times...Crying

BD

good tunes!
07-24-2002 18:56 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
A Hot Wolly

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
I like John Wayne better than AF.

Ditto.

--taotp
07-25-2002 09:13 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by BD
quote:
quote:

-- taotp

Crying

see? like that Smile )

I don't cry as much as when I first played it, but I still get a little misty eyed at times...Crying

BD

good tunes!

right after Terry posted about his Dad passing last summer I could not play that CD without getting very weepy Crying

07-25-2002 16:27 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
BD
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:

right after Terry posted about his Dad passing last summer I could not play that CD without getting very weepy Crying

I remember, we had several posts about it....

sad times...but good memories from the old DAmb.

I'm still pretty much a wuse now when it comes to sad songs or sad movies. It's so strange how you change after losing a parent. I never cried at that ''junk'' before.

BD
07-25-2002 21:59 BD is offline Search for Posts by BD Add BD to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by BD
quote:

I remember, we had several posts about it....

sad times...but good memories from the old DAmb.

I'm still pretty much a wuse now when it comes to sad songs or sad movies. It's so strange how you change after losing a parent. I never cried at that ''junk'' before.

BD

I always cried at that "junk" as I am a life-long wuss Crying

I cry like a little school girl watching the 6th Sense everytime when is the kid is in the car with the mom & they are waiting for the road to be cleared after a fatal bike crash.

07-28-2002 16:21 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Theo Theo is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

And might I add...? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Seems it was a couple weeks ago, somebody mentioned on the DADL that JW was weak and whatnot. I'd been meaning to respond (having listened to it a great deal with my son Jordan driving between Seattle and Montana) that I think it to be an incredibly amazing work of art. Well now, here are all these complimentary posts. I hardly need to applaud it further. But, clap! clap! anyway! Big Grin

AF is also a wonderful album. Terry brought a signed copy to Andrew in the hospital. The album affected me emotionally as as many of y'all. Andrew too. He was weeping while listening to "God took her in the afternoon." I knew, but I asked. He was thinking of my late mother and a little CF girl he had grown up who had died as well. Both ladies loved the morning and the Spring and the song fit them both so well. And I think Andrew loved these ladies and shared their sentiments. He too waited for the sun to set that Spring, that Cinco DeMayo and then also took his leave.

No wonder we return to Terry's work again and again for affirmation and re-affirmation. I think Terry's lyrics are gifts from God that Terry himself returns to for comfort and affirmation as life presents its losses and temporal nature, repeatedly.
07-28-2002 17:36 Theo is offline Send an Email to Theo Homepage of Theo Search for Posts by Theo Add Theo to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Theo: theo@sterlingdrivechurch.com YIM Account Name of Theo: the_obrastoff
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Theo

No wonder we return to Terry's work again and again for affirmation and re-affirmation. I think Terry's lyrics are gifts from God that Terry himself returns to for comfort and affirmation as life presents its losses and temporal nature, repeatedly.

as Terry said, (something like this) "it's what I do, I write songs for all of us"

BD

08-07-2002 23:19 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
A Hot Wolly

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork

as Terry said, (something like this) "it's what I do, I write songs for all of us"

BD

I think that that's so true. I was driving around listening to my CD-R collection "Terry Besides" and some songs were just making me cry. It makes me want to learn the guitar just so that I can play his music myself.

-- aotp
08-08-2002 09:59 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » John Wayne

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH