Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » So glad DA is still around - Doppleganger! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page So glad DA is still around - Doppleganger!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Lysander
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-17-2005

So glad DA is still around - Doppleganger! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

First discovered them in about 1986 at a local Christian bookstore when I was about 13. They had one of those charts that compared secular bands with Christian bands that sounded "similar". I think they compared DA to Talking Heads (fair enough). They also let you put on headphones and listen to the tape before you bought it - something that made personal history for me Smile

About 10 seconds into Mall All Over the World, I was absolutely hooked. By the time I heard The Double I had found my new favorite band. I still have the original cassette of Doppleganger - too worn to play anymore but fortuntately I have a backup! New Car!, Real Girls, Angels Tuck You In, Memory Lane and that bizzare Autographs For The Sick - to this day I play this album on a regular basis. In fact, I'm hoping I can by a CD here, for the rest of the Alarma stuff as well.

Some older folks at church couldn't believe this was the same people that did "Shotgun Angel" - another really great song that holds up after all this time I think.

I really think you should remaster Doppleganger and get it played on alternative rock radio - it's really that good. Everyone into that kind of music I've played it for liked it.

I'd like to hear more, I've really only listened to Alarma, Doppleganger, Vox Humana, and Darn Floor Big Bite.
04-17-2005 17:29 Lysander is offline Send an Email to Lysander Search for Posts by Lysander Add Lysander to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Then you'd better get out your creit card. There are a lot of good albums on the webstore for you to enjoy.

04-17-2005 18:38 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

RE: So glad DA is still around - Doppleganger! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Those are great DA records to be sure. Vox Humana has always been a fave of mine.

Might I also suggest Horrendous Disc (that's the one that hooked me!), Motorcycle, Kalhoun and their latest, Mr. Buechner's Dream.

Heck, DA doesn't make bad records -- that's just a fact. But those are some of my favorites.
04-17-2005 19:56 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
Lysander
Mind Peach

Thread Starter Thread Started by Lysander
So did they ever explain Autographs for the Sick? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Did they ever explain what this song was supposed to be about? I remember thinking long and hard about it at 13!

Autographs for the sick, they want to touch you
Monogrammed polygraph kit, she wants to buy two
She's warning all her children of the horrors of rock'n roll
You're a bonfire lover counting dollars in the afterglow

Phonographs for the deaf, they can't hear you
Gloves for the amputees, they can't cheer you
Down at the stadium they're waiting for the end of the age
You're praying for the healthy...
While the lame never get to the stage

Autographs for the sick, they want to touch you
Monogrammed polygraph kit, she wants to buy two
She's warning all her children of the horrors of rock'n roll
You're a bonfire lover counting dollars in the afterglow

dit dit doo
04-17-2005 19:59 Lysander is offline Send an Email to Lysander Search for Posts by Lysander Add Lysander to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Someone here the other day said their local store had the Alarma bookset still....and were asking if anyone wanted them to pick it up...

04-17-2005 19:59 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I personally think "Autographs for the Sick" is about an artist not being sensitive to the needs of the people he is ministering to. He counts the dollars in the afterglow, and giving records to the deaf, gives gloves to amputees, praying for the healthy, etc.

04-17-2005 20:02 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Lysander
Mind Peach

we read the Alarma Chronicles in Christian Jr high school Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I remember the teacher reading us the Alarma Chronicles (at my suggestion) for after lunch story time - she really enjoyed it and said it reminded her of Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. I alse tend to think she's the only one that got it too. Poor her, she had to read it off of the tiny little insert that came with the cassette tape. Ah memories I haven't thought about that place in ages. Is there a copy of the story online somewhere? I was just browsing around the internet and found this site, great.
04-17-2005 20:06 Lysander is offline Send an Email to Lysander Search for Posts by Lysander Add Lysander to your Buddy List
Administrator

At http://www.danielamos.com choose History at the top and click
on Interviews and Articles.

04-17-2005 20:08 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Lysander
Mind Peach

Audiori J, thanks ... remember Mall? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This lyrics and that musical phrase is indeliably stamped into my brain forever:

How come you're sad, how come you cry
When golden arches 'cross your sky?
They're reminders of sweet bye and bye
This could be heaven when we die...

Or The Double - possibly perhaps my most favorite song ever. It has the kind of swing to it, and it's kind of funky, but it's so dark and goth - then it breaks into this jubilant almost humorous chorus. Just amazing, these guys have got to be some of the greatest songwriters ever. There is so much packed into the 3 minutes gems, I love it. I am so going to find my tape right now!

My double's sitting in another world
My double's laughing in the heavenly places
I am his double here, I can expect
We'll be together when time is no more

That's not so strange
You've got one, too
Behind your eyes
Killing you
(Behind your eyes killing me)

I'm always failing to connect the dots
Do I, Don't I get the picture?
(This much is true) I'm his injustice sometimes
I am his wrong
It will be right again when
Christ rules over

See the ghost
I tell you he's hers
Deep and dark
Filled with fear (behind my eyes full of fear)
Even so, (come quickly come)
Even so, (come quickly come)
Watch now as the two turn in to one

You don't see me, (come quickly come)
As well as I do, (come quickly come)
I don't see myself, I don't see you
Watch now as the one speaks now as two

My double's sitting in another world
My double's laughing in the heavenly places
I am his double here, I can expect
We'll be together when time is no more
04-17-2005 20:19 Lysander is offline Send an Email to Lysander Search for Posts by Lysander Add Lysander to your Buddy List
Lysander
Mind Peach

I played a cover of She's all Heart three years ago Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

at an open mic at the (sadly, recently closed) Orange Bear in New york City (about 4 blocks from the WTC site). The little scene there wound up spawning Jeanette Palmer and Chicks With Guitars:

http://www.jeanettepalmer.com/
http://www.chickswithguitars.com
http://webtunes.com/venue/orangebear.html

My longing:
Not to be a god or hero, but to change
Into a tree that grows for ages
Hurting no one
When I told her this
She could not see at all

My longing:
To hold the hand of someone long ago
Who passed away, a memory
No sorrow
It's a wonder that
She could not see at all

My longing:
To be brave until the end of all my days
At the neighing of the red horse,
Fearing nothing
When I break down COs of this
She sees no tears
04-17-2005 20:34 Lysander is offline Send an Email to Lysander Search for Posts by Lysander Add Lysander to your Buddy List
Aqua Green Toupee Aqua Green Toupee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-19-2004

RE: So glad DA is still around - Doppleganger! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Lysander
I'd like to hear more, I've really only listened to Alarma, Doppleganger, Vox Humana, and Darn Floor Big Bite.

I'm jealous of you -- the discovery that awaits. As good as the Alarma Chronicles were, they got way better after that.
04-17-2005 21:09 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
Lysander
Mind Peach

AGT, I just discovered "Evangeline" a bit ago Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think I realized they were still around last year, and downloaded some Terry Scott Taylor solo songs that came out a few years ago from some website? I just stumbled on Evangeline, which is great. Believe it or not, I also just hear I Love You #19 and Pay for Surf for the first time few months ago Smile Heh I have some catching up to do.

So, Daniel Amos is back together, and touring Oregon? They do this right after I move to the East coast?
04-17-2005 21:19 Lysander is offline Send an Email to Lysander Search for Posts by Lysander Add Lysander to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

RE: AGT, I just discovered "Evangeline" a bit ago Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

If you haven't made it to the webstore and picked up Mr. Buechner's Dream then you must do so immediately! You will experience an all-together new kind of ectasy as you listen to it for the first time...and every time afterward. Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Eis: 04-18-2005 09:51.

04-17-2005 21:47 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

RE: I played a cover of She's all Heart three years ago Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
at an open mic at the melancholy)ly, recently closed) Orange Bear in New york City (about 4 blocks from the WTC site). The little scene there wound up spawning Jeanette Palmer and Chicks With Guitars:

http://www.jeanettepalmer.com/
http://www.chickswithguitars.com
http://webtunes.com/venue/orangebear.html

Gotta be one of my all time favorite DA songs! Excellent choice! Cool
04-17-2005 22:33 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
Aqua Green Toupee Aqua Green Toupee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 07-19-2004

I thought I was the only one that liked that tune!
04-18-2005 07:04 Aqua Green Toupee is offline Send an Email to Aqua Green Toupee Search for Posts by Aqua Green Toupee Add Aqua Green Toupee to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Dallas dude Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"Doppelganger... incomplete. I'm still trying to figure this one out."

Shocked

04-18-2005 08:35 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Yo Lysander Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
at an open mic at the melancholy)ly, recently closed) Orange Bear in New york City (about 4 blocks from the WTC site). The little scene there wound up spawning Jeanette Palmer and Chicks With Guitars:

So where are you these days? I'm in northwest NJ.

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
04-18-2005 10:32 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

ah a newbie!

welcome to this nightmare, Lysander-
glad you popped in,..
Here you will find probably the most rabid, loyal fans of all the Terry incarnations.
why- we even buy the new stuff as it comes out!
Nice to have you in DA land
welcome to the D (daniel) A (amos) M (message) B (board)
DAMB fer short

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-18-2005 12:05 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

LYS-

btw--the CD I got of Doppleganger has 2 live bonus tracks
complete with a "Real Boy-Pinnochio" intro to the evening in concert..so I pinched from that to become the conscience of this place..- jimIny..

so Doppleganger affects us all.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-18-2005 12:09 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool RE: So glad DA is still around - Doppleganger! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
First discovered them in about 1986 at a local Christian bookstore when I was about 13. They had one of those charts that compared secular bands with Christian bands that sounded "similar".

yup......
ok, well 15 and 1984..... Big Grin

Cool
04-18-2005 12:24 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » So glad DA is still around - Doppleganger!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH