Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Mr. Buechner's Dream Review » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Mr. Buechner's Dream Review
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
inointernet
unregistered
Mr. Buechner's Dream Review Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Daniel Amos
Mr. Buechner's Dream
Review by Greg Adams

In order for an allusion (a deliberate reference within a piece of writing) to work, it must be clever enough for those "in the know" to appreciate but not distracting enough to block the enjoyment of those who simply don't "get" the connection. Legendary song-writer Terry Scott Taylor and his recently reenergized band Daniel Amos teeter bravely on the edge of an allusive fence with their latest release, an impressive 33-song, double-disc set, Mr. Buechner's Dream.

After producing more than 15 albums over 25 years, and after a seven-year absence, many may have concluded that Daniel Amos reached the point where they had no more to say, no more to add to an already remarkable career. But the boys are back, and they are as ingenious as ever.

Taylor, a true wordsmith, seems to be surfing at the crest of his wit with the endless string of head-nodding, laugh-to-yourself lyrics penned for this latest project (check out the line, "She's a bad dream / Like an adams apple / On a beauty queen" from "She's a Hard Drink"); however, at first listen, some (especially younger) listeners who are unfamiliar with DA's eccentric melodies and literary lyrics might wrinkle their forehead and shrug off the music as that generated by a bunch of "old guys." The added complication of centering the songs around Mr.
Buechner--an actual Pulitzer Prize nominated author and Presbyterian minister, yet unknown to many--could serve to deter many from giving Mr. Buechner's Dream a chance. Taylor himself recognizes that Daniel Amos' music may not be instantly accessible to all. In "This Skin," he pleads
his case: "I'm dreaming in and breathing in / The metaphoric air / Designed to get your faith in motion / Or this could grow on you (my friend) / Might not knock you down / Or drag you in / But it's a place I can begin / To get under your antenna and your / Thick skin."

With touching ballads ("My Beautiful Martyr"), striking musical experiments ("Rice Paper Wings"), and well-crafted songs reminiscent of The Beatles ("The Staggering Gods"), Rolling Stones ("Fingertips" and the Beach Boys ("I Get To Wondering"), Mr. Buechner's Dream is an uninterrupted string of radiant rock consciousness. The inclusion of brilliant Bible-based tales--"Joel (from Joel, Chapter 2)," "Pretty
Little Lies (A Song of Eve)," "Pregnant Pause (A Song for Abraham and Sarah)," "Steal Away (A Song of the Flood)," "Over Her Shoulder (A Song for Lot's Wife," "A Little Grace (A Song of Job),"--pushes this generous offering of songs from Daniel Amos into the "Instant Classic" category.

For an inexperienced Daniel Amos listener, trust Terry Scott Taylor when he sings, "This Is The One."
06-17-2002 22:49
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Touché! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah, I haven't seen a bad review yet. Everyone sings its praises. I see it as Mr. Amos getting long overdue recognition for all the brilliance of their previous works.

I recently went to my local Christian bookstore, and they had not 1 but 4 Daniel Amos titles there, but surprise surprise, no Beuchner.

06-18-2002 06:31 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Man..... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Frankly, I'm more surprised they had the 4 they had. I've NEVER seen a DA title in our bookstore, and they think they've got the Christian-hipness thing DOWN.... a couple Dogs albums, and Berry Vest back when it came out, but that's it....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
06-18-2002 07:18 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Uhh, the Christian Bookstore that I visit about twice a year has the Tuxedo Clad Megastar Big Grin
LK-9

06-18-2002 10:22 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Well YEAH..... duh.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That, sadly, is a $@#&*# GIMME....

06-18-2002 10:24 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Disjasked Lerna

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by carl
That, sadly, is a $@#&*# GIMME....

Hey Carl, you're gonna have to learn how to really swear if God leads (well, you know).
LK-9

06-18-2002 10:26 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Oh trust me, I HAVE that gift already.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

....it just seems to work better as a graphical expletive..... Smile

06-18-2002 10:29 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by carl
....it just seems to work better as a graphical expletive..... Smile

LOL, that one did make me laugh out loud.
LK-9

06-18-2002 10:35 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Woggy Woggy is a female
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-382.gif

Location: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~~ Albert Einstein

Nice review Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

.......of good tunage.

Oh, and would you watch the graphical swearing, man? It scares the &(^# out of me.

he he he

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

06-18-2002 11:23 Woggy is offline Send an Email to Woggy Search for Posts by Woggy Add Woggy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Woggy: none YIM Account Name of Woggy: none
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Woggy
.......of good tunage.

Oh, and would you watch the graphical swearing, man? It scares the &(^# out of me.

he he he

Woggy,
We know too many of your vices: smoking, drinking, Penthouse forum, and now graphical swearing??
LK-9

06-18-2002 11:27 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Mr. Buechner Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Come to think of it, I had to read two of his books in college: "Now and Then", and "The Sacred Journey." One of them got really long-winded and boring if I remember correctly.

06-18-2002 11:41 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by John Foxe
Yeah, I haven't seen a bad review yet. Everyone sings its praises. I see it as Mr. Amos getting long overdue recognition for all the brilliance of their previous works.

I recently went to my local Christian bookstore, and they had not 1 but 4 Daniel Amos titles there, but surprise surprise, no Beuchner.

Uh, 4 DA titles??? Which ones? ?!?!? What bookstore??????!?!?!

Heck, if it's something you can't get anywhere else,
I might call them up long distance, and ask them to mail them to me.

Smile

~Kaf

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

06-19-2002 09:11 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Woolly Eggwhisk

Titles Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hope I don't disappoint you. This was not too long ago at a nearly Family Christian Bookstore.

These titles were releases I think are generally available for sale in places other than Ebay:

- Shotgun Angel 25th Anniversary (multiple copies!)
- OPFWFH
- Live at C2K
- Bibleland (a cassette in bargain bin)

06-19-2002 09:42 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Woolly Eggwhisk

Freudian slip? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sorry, in my previous post I meant to say NEARBY Family Christian bookstore, not nearly...

06-19-2002 09:44 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Shemp
unregistered

True confession here:

I must admit when I have run out and bought a DA, SE, LD or TST Album (showing my age) After the first play I think "Hmmm... I don't know if I like this onre or not." Then I force myself to listen to it a few times more, when all of the sudden, it clicks and the light goes on in my head. I'm again hooked on another of their masterpieces. MBD is still new to me. So far I like the 2nd CD more. I know I'll get the whole thing eventually. Just waiting for that light to click on again.

Pray for me. Big Grin
06-23-2002 21:33
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Shemp
True confession here:

I must admit when I have run out and bought a DA, SE, LD or TST Album (showing my age) After the first play I think "Hmmm... I don't know if I like this onre or not." Then I force myself to listen to it a few times more, when all of the sudden, it clicks and the light goes on in my head. I'm again hooked on another of their masterpieces. MBD is still new to me. So far I like the 2nd CD more. I know I'll get the whole thing eventually. Just waiting for that light to click on again.

Pray for me. Big Grin

don't tell anyone but,
I still like the second disc more tooWink

BD

06-23-2002 21:35 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Shemp
unregistered

Honesty is the best policy
06-23-2002 22:44
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Mr. Buechner's Dream Review

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH