Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Sam Phillips on Salon » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Sam Phillips on Salon
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Balso Snell
unregistered
Sam Phillips on Salon Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Since there are a couple of Sam Phillips fans among DAMBers, I thought I'd throw out this quotational tidbit from a recent Salon.com profile:

'(Sam) says of the fundamentalist movement at that time, "The most difficult thing about that, the reason I've always been hesitant to talk about it, is there's just no way to portray it. I mean, there's this movie called 'The Rapture,' where the actress is running around with a glazed look in her eye because she's become a Jesus freak. There are still really wonderful people that I know from that time. I wish I could describe it. I wish I could make a movie of what it was like at that time.

"Oddly enough, you know who captured the spirit of those times? When I saw 'Boogie Nights,' I thought about the Jesus movement of that time. There was an innocence, a sweetness to those times in general, and he captured that. And there was a beautiful, sweet time in the church, and the walls came down and because of the counterculture people were less judgmental, more open-minded. There was a lot of ..." she laughs recalling it, "folk music. Like any movement, the people who wanted to take charge ... it just grew into a nightmare."'

Reeeeally liked the 'Boogie Nights' comparison!

BS (since there are one or two computer-types on the DAMB, I'll let someone else provide the link)

06-12-2002 20:00
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Balso Snell
Since there are a couple of Sam Phillips fans among DAMBers, I thought I'd throw out this quotational tidbit from a recent Salon.com profile:

'(Sam) says of the fundamentalist movement at that time, "The most difficult thing about that, the reason I've always been hesitant to talk about it, is there's just no way to portray it. I mean, there's this movie called 'The Rapture,' where the actress is running around with a glazed look in her eye because she's become a Jesus freak. There are still really wonderful people that I know from that time. I wish I could describe it. I wish I could make a movie of what it was like at that time.

"Oddly enough, you know who captured the spirit of those times? When I saw 'Boogie Nights,' I thought about the Jesus movement of that time. There was an innocence, a sweetness to those times in general, and he captured that. And there was a beautiful, sweet time in the church, and the walls came down and because of the counterculture people were less judgmental, more open-minded. There was a lot of ..." she laughs recalling it, "folk music. Like any movement, the people who wanted to take charge ... it just grew into a nightmare."'

Reeeeally liked the 'Boogie Nights' comparison!

BS (since there are one or two computer-types on the DAMB, I'll let someone else provide the link)

Boogie Nights does have a innocent time at the start of the movie, but all that is gone with too many drugs and money and fame and pride...

I really like that film...

P.T. Anderson is awesome.

has anyone seen his first movie Hard 8?

I have not but would love tooSmile )

06-13-2002 13:45 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Carman Victim
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Boogie Nights is a sinful movie. I've never seen it, since I would never watch an R-rated film, but I have heard much about its sinfulness.
06-13-2002 19:38
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by the Tuxedo Clad Megastar Victim
Boogie Nights is a sinful movie. I've never seen it, since I would never watch an R-rated film, but I have heard much about its sinfulness.

it's about your favorite film... the XXX kind Wink

06-13-2002 20:05 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Balso Snell
unregistered
Schaeffer boogies Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

[/QUOTE]

Boogie Nights does have a innocent time at the start of the movie, but all that is gone with too many drugs and money and fame and pride...
[/QUOTE]

Yeah -- wonder what the evangelical equivalent is? Francis Schaeffer fronting the Moral Majority? Anyone? Bueller? the Tuxedo Clad Megastar Victim?

BS
06-14-2002 18:18
™ is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-236.gif

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: Silicon Valley: prime real estate for a terrorist dirty bomb hit

Sam stuff Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"...ultimately, I want to do what Henry Miller said: just transcend the need to make art at all, and just live life. With this album I'm a bit closer to that."

Pulse! magazine interview

--

"In the age of "alternative," "pop" is a filthy word...But Sam Phillips thankfully remembers its other, original meaning"

Omnipop - Sam Phillips
Pop/Rock, review by Mark Athitakis
Songstress Sam Phillips proves that "pop" is not (necessarily) a dirty word. (8/19/96)

--

-and gossip...

--Peter Jackson quoting J. R. R. Tolkien
06-17-2002 12:25 ™ is offline Send an Email to ™ Homepage of ™ Search for Posts by ™ Add ™ to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

i'M ALL ALONE Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

have not heard Fandance (on my short list)
but I LOVE every Leslie/Sam creation.
I have mentioned this- but she is the ONLY female artist I really enjoy (right now)
and I think Beyond Saturday Night is as beautiful as Omnipop-
you gotta respect the whole circle of the lady to enjoy her (I think anyway)
JiMInY
06-17-2002 12:38 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Yeah -- wonder what the evangelical equivalent is? Francis Schaeffer fronting the Moral Majority?

that's cute Pleased

06-17-2002 16:32 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
quote:
Yeah -- wonder what the evangelical equivalent is? Francis Schaeffer fronting the Moral Majority?

that's cute Pleased

LOL

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

06-19-2002 09:26 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Sam Phillips on Salon

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH