Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Stunt Records - Fortunately Independent? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Stunt Records - Fortunately Independent?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Stunt Records - Fortunately Independent? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've gone on ad infinitum, ad nauseum about the co-opting and homogenization of the Christian music industry before... so it'll come as no surprise that I'm doing it again.

This week, Word Enterprises, after having been swallowed up by Warner, announced they were having major restructuring / downsizing, specifically in the a&r section. It falls in line with the same model EMI formed when they swallowed up Sparrow / Chordant. This should mean that the message is getting through to a wider audience, right?

You'd think so, but I'm not sure. You can find Sparrow/EMI's Africa Relief disc "In The Name Of Love" at many mainstream retailers, primarily due to it being comprised of U2 covers. This alignment of companies hasn't really done much for other, lower profile releases, and should EMI decide they need to chop further into their holdings for profit stability, where are they going to start? Capitol? Virgin? I don't think so.

Skillet recently celebrated their signing with Lava / Atlantic, and good on 'em that they got there. But having a big label contract hasn't done much for a lot who came before... And some, like P.O.D. and Switchfoot, have become so watered down that it's hard to see the message anymore.

This is not to say that these bands should be out proselytising hardcore... But anyone can grind out four chord power rock. Anyone does. The thing that separated P.O.D. from Trapt and Incubus, sadly, seems in demise. It's Stryper's "Against The Law" all over again.

But the crux of my argument, made plain: although the distribution is tight and superstardom seems less like a promise now, Terry and Mike have it right with Stunt and Fools Of The World. They have control over their music, not to be washed in the tidal throes of the major marketplace. A lot of the bands mentioned earlier will find it harder and harder to make the music they choose, and may find conformism a necessary evil in order to stay signed.

But if Terry wants to make an Edward Daniel Taylor disc, whether people warm to it or not, he can. No one will stop him from doing that. Were he signed to one of the new conglomerates, not only would that not even be a consideration, but neither would half of DAs or The Eddies' output.

I used to think the small, self-run thing was a major detriment... But I'm coming to see it another way. It's artistic freedom, and thank God for it.

DwD
03-12-2004 20:44 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

And the congregation said, "Amen!"

03-13-2004 00:05 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
arcticsunburn arcticsunburn is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-10-2002
Location: Guitar; A way to express what words can't describe, and a moment of peace in a chaotic world.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Amen!

This is why I don't care if I'm ever signed.

03-13-2004 00:44 arcticsunburn is offline Send an Email to arcticsunburn Homepage of arcticsunburn Search for Posts by arcticsunburn Add arcticsunburn to your Buddy List Add arcticsunburn to your Contact List View the MSN Profile for arcticsunburn
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

Hmmm. Add Marathon to that list of indie labels. Oh, and Andy's Angels. Um, Barnie Bear too, why not? Dorf's thing. Grrr?

All hail the indie small market starving artist.

"It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll."

03-13-2004 00:51 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
mindgasket mindgasket is a male
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-213.jpg

Registration Date: 06-18-2003
Location: Just because we're hypnotized that don't mean we can't dance!

Attention Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

And this precisely the reason I'll gladly pre-order and wait a year if I have to for another quality album by DA!
03-13-2004 11:01 mindgasket is offline Send an Email to mindgasket Search for Posts by mindgasket Add mindgasket to your Buddy List
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

Independant music rules!!!

03-13-2004 12:26 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Stunt Records - Fortunately Independent?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH