Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » What turned you on? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What turned you on?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mr. WU Mr. WU is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: You can kill us, but cannot do us any real harm - Justin Martyr

What turned you on? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Since this is supposed to be DA related, what song or album (CD) got you hooked on DA. For me it was (Nearsighted Girl with Approaching) Tidal Wave.

Bruce
03-15-2002 09:13 Mr. WU is offline Send an Email to Mr. WU Search for Posts by Mr. WU Add Mr. WU to your Buddy List
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

A swirling hook Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I first heard a few songs off "Let's Spin" on the radio and ran out and bought The Swirling Eddies' "Let's Spin" on tape. I must have listened to that tape at least 3 times a day. Finally, the Eddies revealed who they were (I had never heard of Daniel Amos.) When I found out most of the band members were associated with a group called Daniel Amos, I looked for any CDs of theirs (I had JUST gotten my first CD player.) I found "Darn Floor, Big Bite." I liked it, but not as much as "Let's Spin." Then I found "Fearful Symmetry." Three songs hooked me and still do to this day: "The Pool," "Neverland Ballroom" and "Instruction Thru Film." "The Pool" was my favorite DA tune of all time till MBD came out and I heard "Author of the Story." DA is a new group with MBD, in my opinion.

Once I was hooked on "Fearful Symmetry" I started looking for anything and everything my DA. I was fortunate enough to get every single DA album as it was reissued for the first time on CD and get every new DA album as it came out.

From the old ones, "Shotgun Angel" is a masterpiece. Side One and Two are excellent! The whole rock opera of Revelations is incredible. It's not just an auditory album, it's visual. I actually see images when I listen to side 2. Then "Doppleganger." The songs and themes from "Doppleganger" have inspired me ever since. When I wrote my play "The Damascus Trilogy" adapting August Strindberg's "To Damascus, I-III" I had the songs and themes of "Doppleganger" in my head. Everything in life has a double meaning...is there anything more profound?

I think "Kalhoun" really struck me as a mature album. The music had truly evolved, and it's still a favorite to put on. "Motorcycle" came out when I was going through tough times. It was my escape CD, my renew CD. I put on headphones, listend to the musical wheels turning, and I could tune out the rest of the world. Still love "Motorcycle."

"Songs of the Heart" just rocks and I CAN NOT WAIT till I get my "When Everyone Wore Hats" book set. I need it! And of course "Mr. Buechner's Dream" is a modern classic. How could that album not have been nominated for a grammy!! How can such great talent be so vastly overlooked in the music industry as a whole. But DA and TST inspire me to push on in my own endeavors as an artist. I may never make it, but I enjoy the process and the challenge to create something beautiful and through it try to capture a glipse of truth, even if it's tainted through my own warped view of the world.

Did I answer the question, or just ramble? Oops!

-- The Author of the Post
03-15-2002 09:50 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

my sister and her boyfriend, now husband. Used to go to the local cbs and just pick out a couple of albums every couple of weeks (back in the late 70's early 80's). Most of the stuff they never heard of before. Daniel Amos and Shotgun Angel were 2 they picked up one day, I've been hooked ever since. And I still have the Original Albums they bought! I wonder if they know know I have them? (I let them keep the Dallas Holm(sp) albums)

BD

03-15-2002 10:11 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

For me... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

For me it was an 8-track copy of Alarma. I bought it for $5.00 at a Christian bookstore in Shrevesport, LA. I wish I still had it. I think I posted this here once, but here's how I originally had the Alarma Chronicles: Alarma was on 8-track, Doppelganger was on cassette, Vox Humana vinyle, Fearful Symmetry compact disc. I let someone on this board have my Vox Humana on vinyle just for the cost of shipping. I hate the bidding and crap. I love all of TST stuff, but when it all comes down, the Alarma Chronicles suckered me in.
LK-9

03-15-2002 10:55 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

my start Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

shotgun angel- on the radio
borrowed the LP
it was all downhill from there.
jc
03-15-2002 11:00 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

A few years back I bought a collection of 80's rock music from the bargin bin at the local Christian bookstore. One of the songs one the CD was "Darn Floor, Big Bite." I loved the song, and a while later I bought TST's John Wayne.
Evantually, I bought Our Personal Favorite World Famous Hits, and I... didn't like it. I liked "Darn Floor," "When Everyone Wore Hats" and "Mall All Over the World," but I just didn't like the rest of the songs. The disc gathered dust on my shelf for a while, until one day, with nothing else to do, I pulled it out and played it. I loved it this time! That was the day before I went on a long car trip, so I bought the disc along and played it a lot. From then on I was a full-fledged DA fan. I bought every DA disc I could get my hands on, and I've now got quite the collection. I'm sure glad I gave DA another try.
03-15-2002 11:14 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

A few years back I bought a collection of 80's rock music from the bargin bin at the local Christian bookstore. One of the songs one the CD was "Darn Floor, Big Bite." I loved the song, and a while later I bought TST's John Wayne.
Evantually, I bought Our Personal Favorite World Famous Hits, and I... didn't like it. I liked "Darn Floor," "When Everyone Wore Hats" and "Mall All Over the World," but I just didn't like the rest of the songs. The disc gathered dust on my shelf for a while, until one day, with nothing else to do, I pulled it out and played it. I loved it this time! That was the day before I went on a long car trip, so I bought the disc along and played it a lot. From then on I was a full-fledged DA fan. I bought every DA disc I could get my hands on, and I've now got quite the collection. I'm sure glad I gave DA another try.
03-15-2002 11:14 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Vox, but I wouldn't ask Aunt Betty or Uncle Ralph that kind of question...

03-15-2002 11:16 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Jevon the Tall Jevon the Tall is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Location: "You're not from around here are you?" said the stranger to the little man in the wool sweater who looked vaguely like a sheep. Maybe it was the long boots but he was kind of cute. "What's your name?" he asked "My friends call me Theo." he replied

The song that really nailed me as a fan was Endless Summer because the guitar solo was so much fun to play along with, followed closely by Props because I sing as good as Marty. That song still kills me. Of course HD was a big album.

03-15-2002 11:36 Jevon the Tall is offline Send an Email to Jevon the Tall Homepage of Jevon the Tall Search for Posts by Jevon the Tall Add Jevon the Tall to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

So many choices! So much cumber! Lessee here.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm a late bloomer. Got Personal World Famous yada yada, Berry Vest & John Wayne simultaneously. PWFyy didn't hit me, at least continuously (the Horrendous Disk did & still does put me to sleep), JW was very good, and Berry Vest.... floored me. Figured it was worth the next step, so got Songs of the Heart. Took awhile to latch onto, but one well-placed cup of coffe & "The Organ Bar" changed all that.... went whole hog & sprung for the Alarma Chronicles & haven't looked back.... so, 3 three years later, all I'm missing from the TST/DA/SE/LD axis is Scenic Routes. Even so, put it out soon, DA Boys....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
03-15-2002 11:58 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Atarah Atarah is a female
Dark Steamy Cabbage

steve, derri, tim, and dan Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

listened to the choir first, fell in love with terry's song writing on the Dog's stuff, and finally bought my first DA about a year ago (the Alarma Chronicles book set).....so I'm a new old terry fan........
03-15-2002 12:39 Atarah is offline Send an Email to Atarah Search for Posts by Atarah Add Atarah to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

alrighty then....... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

wog and all-
this is a lot faster way to post on de new board.
I'm thru with the old one.
You'll NEVER see me back there again.
(Oh wait- I left a bunch of unfinished business over there......
JC
03-15-2002 12:56 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by Lost Canine
...when it all comes down, the Alarma Chronicles suckered me in.
LK-9

That was it for me too!

This is an exciting era for me. I "fell away" from DA, TST and Co, and only about six months ago I was going through some old albums and discovered while talking to a friend that they still existed! (That's when I heard about the Lost Dogs for the first time too...)

But originally, it was Alarma! and then I think I bough all the rest of the DA Albums the moment they hit the book store, up to "Darn Floor - Big Bite" - I didn't have a CD player yet back then (did anybody? when did the CD come out anyway?) so all I have of those great classics are record albums that I can still play on my vintage 1970s stero system. LOL...)

I started buying TST stuff back (I think) when they first started coming out... and at one time I had (but can no longer find) a cassette of a Swirling Eddies release (the one with Outdoor Elvis, and Hide the Beer, on it...)

Hmmm... I can't find those over on the discography page, but I'm sure they are there somewhere.

Anyway, it is impossible to say what are my favorites, but I started with Alarma and Horrendous Disc.

Regards,
Gus

P.S. I've since started building up my DA / TST / SwE collection again, and it now seems I only have a hand full of gaps from the 90s.

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

03-15-2002 14:38 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

So you are an old-timer... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I almost thought I scared you off w/ my reply about you're just finding the "hidden track" on MBD now. Sorry about that...Frown I too, was into DA since the AC era, but then I moved up here to Spokane, WA in 94 where the "Christian" bookstores don't carry DA's music... Mad So I just got back into DA when I went back to Cali' in 00 and a friend told me about this website. Luckily I got the AC bookset while it was still available at a decent price. Welcome back, Gus!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

03-15-2002 15:07 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
I almost thought I scared you off w/ my reply about you're just finding the "hidden track" on MBD now. Sorry about that...Frown

Ah, don't worry about it...

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
Luckily I got the AC bookset while it was still available at a decent price. Welcome back, Gus!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Thanks! Big Grin It's good to be back.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna have to buy that AC bookset myself as soon as it becomes available again. My 1970s era stereo isn't going to last forever, and I need those things on CD while I can still get 'm!

Cheers!
Gus

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

03-15-2002 15:25 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by Lost Canine
For me it was an 8-track copy of Alarma. I bought it for $5.00 at a Christian bookstore in Shrevesport, LA. I wish I still had it. I think I posted this here once, but here's how I originally had the Alarma Chronicles: Alarma was on 8-track, Doppelganger was on cassette, Vox Humana vinyle, Fearful Symmetry compact disc. I let someone on this board have my Vox Humana on vinyle just for the cost of shipping. I hate the bidding and crap. I love all of TST stuff, but when it all comes down, the Alarma Chronicles suckered me in.
LK-9

just the name 8-Track has got to bring a smile to your face Smile

by the way I guess I found out what the deal is about the passwords and what-nots..

my first DA was DFBB.

03-15-2002 15:48 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

8-tracks Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich

just the name 8-Track has got to bring a smile to your face Smile

by the way I guess I found out what the deal is about the passwords and what-nots..

my first DA was DFBB.

Hey Dr. Rich, I added you to my buddy list here if you don't mind. Big Grin Up until 2 years ago, the only copy of HD I owned was on 8-track. The only problem with that is, I haven't owned an 8 track player for about 7 yrs. The only "official" copy I own of DFBB is on cassette. We won't talk about "un-official" copies...Tongue Evil Tongue

p.s. Dr., check out Mike Knott's Mother Nation, it is like the music on Oh Brother, and is only 8 bucks at his website. I don't know how to do links on this new board, www.michaelknott.com. Big Grin

Oh, I guess I DO know how to do links here.. he, he...

03-15-2002 16:16 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
Scrimshaw Nick Scrimshaw Nick is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-387.jpg

Location: "Bad news, Mom. I promised my soul to the devil this afternoon." "Oh? That recently?" ~ Calvin and Hobbes

A friend brought Vox Humana to school on his discman and I was hooked. I immediately went to the X-ian bookstore and bought both Vox and Fearful Symmetry. I've been quite the rabid fan for some time. Big Grin

Somebody cured my political apathy but I'm not allowed to say who it is in a signature on the Message Boards
03-15-2002 19:47 Scrimshaw Nick is offline Send an Email to Scrimshaw Nick Search for Posts by Scrimshaw Nick Add Scrimshaw Nick to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Scrimshaw Nick: piratescrimshaw
anne
A Hot Wolly

i think i said this before blah blah blah, but, Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

sins of the fathers off songs of the heart first caught my attention - "but you go ahead kid, it's your turn to walk on water..." - - - - - and motorcycle is responsible for making me the rabid fan i am today.
03-16-2002 16:44 anne is offline Send an Email to anne Homepage of anne Search for Posts by anne Add anne to your Buddy List
Scrimshaw Nick Scrimshaw Nick is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-387.jpg

Location: "Bad news, Mom. I promised my soul to the devil this afternoon." "Oh? That recently?" ~ Calvin and Hobbes

Glad to see that I'm not the only fan who is rabid Big Grin

Somebody cured my political apathy but I'm not allowed to say who it is in a signature on the Message Boards
03-16-2002 18:24 Scrimshaw Nick is offline Send an Email to Scrimshaw Nick Search for Posts by Scrimshaw Nick Add Scrimshaw Nick to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Scrimshaw Nick: piratescrimshaw
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » What turned you on?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH