Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bad note in "Sail Me Away"? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Bad note in "Sail Me Away"?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

Bad note in "Sail Me Away"? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Right around 1:41 in this song (I think after "pilgrim's call") there's a stray keyboard note that seems to be outside of the song's key. To me it sounds like a mistake and I've always wondered why it was left there. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

02-19-2014 07:39 ftg3plus4 is offline Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It's a lower neighboring tone played on the vibraphone. The vibraphone doesn't have a lot of sustain in such a thick texture; it does however have enough sustain to have a faint dissonance between the two pitches. The highest note on the vibraphone at that point is the leading tone to the next chord, and rather than just let that sound decay, he plays a little figure by playing the leading tone, then the note below it, and then back to the leading tone. You don't hear it later because the vibraphone doesn't play in the second half of the song. I actually like that little bit of spice there.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Jimmy Brown: 02-19-2014 09:13.

02-19-2014 09:07 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This song has Twitchen Vibes.
02-19-2014 14:28 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Bad note in "Sail Me Away"?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH