Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Favorite DA Concert » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Favorite DA Concert
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
bdavis bdavis is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

Favorite DA Concert Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Some of you guys and gals out there share with me your favorite DA concert. Unfortunately, I have only seen DA once. It was about 1981 at the University of Houston Cullen Auditorium. It was advertised primarily on the secular powerhouse rock radio station. Getting out of the truck at a parking garage, a totally stoned couple asked "hey man you ever heard this Daniel Amos gig before?" I replied yes and that they were very good. They said, "I heard they are Christians, are you a Christian?" I simply replied yes, realizing if I were able to present the Gospel to them that they would not remember it in the morning.
Any way, only about 50 people showed up to a concert hall which seats around 2000, but that did not deter the guys in the band from producing a totally outstanding performance.
03-19-2002 17:42 bdavis is offline Send an Email to bdavis Search for Posts by bdavis Add bdavis to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

First concert Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The first DA concert for me was in fall of 1984, Wheaton, IL. I took my future wife there - she had absolutely no appreciation and hated Alarma. She played classical orchestra and just couldn't get past the musical/lyrical repetition in Central Theme.

Anyway, there were hundreds of odd looking people (Cornerstone-ish) lined up to get in. It was the Doppelganger tour, so they had the whole thing in the show with Pinocchio and the masks - very cool. Toward the end they played three songs from the upcoming Vox Humana, including Dance Stop, and they encouraged us to dance. No big deal, right? Wrong - Wheaton had made us sign a pledge that we couldn't smoke, drink, dance, etc. (...suspension's the buzz, out at Wheaton...)

As I understand (maybe someone can back me up here) - the band almost didn't get their money because of that incident. But man, did we have a good time! And my wife actually liked the Vox Humana songs. An unforgetable night.

Oh by the way, I finally got my wife to go to the last two Cornerstone concerts, and boy did she have fun with DA, Dogs, and the Legends. After almost 20 years, I think she might finally be coming around.

03-19-2002 20:23 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've never seen DA live, so stop bragging to the rest of us about "where you saw them" and "how many times"!!!Mad

now if you're talking TST related shows, then it's ok. cuz I can brag right along with ya! Big Grin

heh heh
BD

03-19-2002 22:04 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

mE-OH Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I wanted TO SEE THE LEGENDS TOUR -BUT OF COURSE AS CLOSE AS i GOT WERE TICKEES.
haVE NOT SEEN da- BUT HAS blessed TO SEE AN UP CLOSE tst SHOW WITH pHIL mADERIA.
THATS IT ...SO FAR

BTW- HOW DO YOU PASTE A PICTURE IN HERE????
ANYBODY KNOW?
jIminY
03-20-2002 08:59 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jc
I wanted TO SEE THE LEGENDS TOUR -BUT OF COURSE AS CLOSE AS i GOT WERE TICKEES.
haVE NOT SEEN da- BUT HAS blessed TO SEE AN UP CLOSE tst SHOW WITH pHIL mADERIA.
THATS IT ...SO FAR

BTW- HOW DO YOU PASTE A PICTURE IN HERE????
ANYBODY KNOW?
jIminY

nope, heh heh

use the IMG button Big Grin
BD

03-20-2002 09:21 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
bdavis bdavis is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Thread Starter Thread Started by bdavis

My wife, who at the time was my girlfriend, (still is my girlfriend) is telling me that the DA concert was at a music hall in downtown Houston instead of at the U of H. We both seem to agree the concert was prior to the release of Horrendous Disc but the concert material was primarily HD with some Shotgun Angel mixed in. The performance was somewhat of a welcome culture shock because the band performed like a rock band in a Godly manner. Is there anyone else out there that was at this concert to help me peg the exact date of the concert? We are thinking the 1980 to 1981 range.
03-20-2002 10:34 bdavis is offline Send an Email to bdavis Search for Posts by bdavis Add bdavis to your Buddy List
anne
A Hot Wolly

cstone is the place Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

ive only seen them at cstone....
3 times at least, maybe more, i forget Wink
impossible to pick a fav out of those.

SO, who all is going to Cornerstone THIS year??
03-20-2002 10:37 anne is offline Send an Email to anne Homepage of anne Search for Posts by anne Add anne to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

Too far of a drive... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by anne
ive only seen them at cstone....
3 times at least, maybe more, i forget Wink
impossible to pick a fav out of those.

SO, who all is going to Cornerstone THIS year??

Not me...... too far away. Mad Unlike BD though, I have seen DA live several times, but all in So. Cali. back in the 80's and early 90's. The BEST show I've ever seen of DA was the first time I saw them. It was either 86 or early 87. I only know that because FS was out and DFBB wasn't out yet, but they did songs from it. A "Christian" radio station from Orange County was there to record the show live. I don't know if the band knew about that ahead of time, but they didn't seem too happy about that. They started off covering "We got to get out of this place" by the Animals and then spent about the first half hour of the show just covering "secular" songs. They were also tripping each other and making funny faces. Terry did an improv song called "Melodyland is a heck of a land." It had choruses like Ronald Reagan is a heck of a man. LOL! I was still in high school then and I thought it was a blast. The guys from the (quote-unquote) Christian radio station didn't think it was too funny and there were some folks who walked out as well. I wondered for many years if that was a "normal" DA show for that time or if they were trying to make some sort of statement. I saw them later at Calvary Chapel or similar type churces and they toned it down a lot. The last time I saw them was at Echoes of Faith in Ontario, CA about a decade ago. Frown I have seen Terry and Mike Roe solo acoustic twice in the last year though. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

03-20-2002 14:23 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
jc
Luteous Llama

is this as close as I got?
JiMiny
03-20-2002 14:37 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by jc

is this as close as I got?
JiMiny

it looks like your still trying to get it off your own hard drive instead of the internet. The properties for your pic were:

file:///c:/my%20documents/legends.jpg

''file:///c:/my documents'' is on your computer.

if it's off the web it will look something like this

http://www.danielamos.com/band.jpg

it need to have ''http://´' in it.

BD

03-20-2002 14:44 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.

Not me...... to far away. Mad

(snip)

then spent about the first half hour of the show just covering "secular" songs. They were also tripping each other and making funny faces.

That sounds like it would have been allot of fun!!
BD

(c-stone is to far for me too!)
Frown

03-20-2002 14:50 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
anne
A Hot Wolly

cstone poopers Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

so i won't get to meet the ubiquitous joey t. and the generous BD in the blistering heat of bushnell this summer? am crushed. am very sad. am currently drowning sorrows in 2liter of mountain dew (yes, drinking from the bottle). who can cheer me up? isn't ANYONE going???
03-20-2002 17:56 anne is offline Send an Email to anne Homepage of anne Search for Posts by anne Add anne to your Buddy List
bdavis bdavis is a male
Esculent Eskimo

My two teenage daughters have been working on me to go. They want see some groups of their generation. But I have not been able to convince the Mrs. She says is not conducive for the two young boys (7 years & 6 months). I guess the girls could baby sit when it is our turn to see the Legends. I figure it is a two-day drive from Houston, but we do have a camping trailer to bring along. Has anyone ever taken young children to Cornerstone? What about restrooms and showering facilities? Is there a social event of DA fans prior to the concert anywhere?
03-20-2002 18:09 bdavis is offline Send an Email to bdavis Search for Posts by bdavis Add bdavis to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Tallowy Tamale

quote:
Originally posted by anne
so i won't get to meet the ubiquitous joey t. and the generous BD in the blistering heat of bushnell this summer? am crushed. am very sad. am currently drowning sorrows in 2liter of mountain dew (yes, drinking from the bottle). who can cheer me up? isn't ANYONE going???

I would love to go someday, maybe when my 3 yr old son is older (assuming TST and pals are still playing then...) I remember hearing Dr. Rich say on the SpyGlass Blue board that he was going... Dr., you out there??? Confused

03-20-2002 18:20 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Homepage of Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Joey T.: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for Joey T.
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

i seem to remember on show around 1986ish at knotts berry farm. there was this one guy, who obviously hadn't heard da in a decade and was not pleased with the new sound and lyrical approach, who kept screaming inbetween songs "preach the gospel" and other such things. finally, terry just held out the microphone twords the guy and then suggested that he(the guy) should preach the gospel.

it was quite a moment....

as far as cornerstone goes....i will be making the trek from so cal(for the first time...to cornerstone that is).

03-20-2002 19:34 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
Bulldog Bulldog is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Concerts Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Altough it has been over 15 years since I have seen Daniel Amos in concert. I live in So. Cal and back in the day, you could see them almost everyweek end. I have probably seen them at least 50 to 60 times. I remember back around 82 or 83 they played the "Amos and Randy" tour on New Years eve for two years in a row with opening act of Dave Edwards it was the best I've seen them play.
03-20-2002 22:39 Bulldog is offline Send an Email to Bulldog Search for Posts by Bulldog Add Bulldog to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

say a prayer for cs2002 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My daughter wants to go (15) cuz she loves doin things with her daddy.
Its at a busy time of year...but I would appreciate a prayer or two to get the details worked out-
I would l LOVE to go...
JiMiNy
03-21-2002 07:47 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
bdavis bdavis is a male
Esculent Eskimo

quote:
Originally posted by jc
My daughter wants to go (15) cuz she loves doin things with her daddy.
Its at a busy time of year...but I would appreciate a prayer or two to get the details worked out-
I would l LOVE to go...
JiMiNy
Hey JiMiNy, you have a Daddy's girl also? They sure are sweet and have a way of melting a Dad's heart. I will pray that you get the details worked out and please do likewise for me. Is your daughter a fan of the Legends or the groups of her generation or both?
03-21-2002 15:33 bdavis is offline Send an Email to bdavis Search for Posts by bdavis Add bdavis to your Buddy List
jc
Luteous Llama

my girl Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Bdavie-
I was in charge (HA HA) of a youth group (former) and took 10 kids to Sonshine a 3 day fest in SOuthern MN.(2 years back)
She just likes the overall experience-
bands she enjoyed there
Third Day(they DO rock-eh?)
Audio A
SC Chapman
I think she would sit through the Dogs/DA/et all-just cuz she knows how much it means to me.
I think shed like to see the Choir-
but mainly I'd be draggin her from stage to stage.
Appreciate prayer to that end- I'll think on you in my dailies.
JiMiNy
Other concerts:
(she liked Newsboys -I did 2) when we saw them-but Jars of Clay got 2 loud indoors-shes sensitive 2 that.
03-21-2002 15:48 jc is offline Send an Email to jc Search for Posts by jc Add jc to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

never seen DA either, but I have seen TST. I also saw Black Sabbath a couple years ago... now that was a show!!

I also really liked Wilco live Smile

03-21-2002 16:54 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Favorite DA Concert

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH