Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Favorite DFBB song? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Favorite DFBB song?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Favorite DFBB song? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I know this is a nearly impossible to answer, but what is your favorite Darn Floor - Big Bite song? For the sake of ease, we'll not include the songs on the bonus disc of the reissue.

I've only listened through the CD three times, but as of now, Divine Instant jumps out ever so slightly more than the rest. But even as I type this, I can think of reasons to place most of the other songs at the top.

I will, with a bit of hesitation, pick Divine Instant...today. Tomorrow I may pick a different song. Cool

12-05-2008 17:15 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool RE: Favorite DFBB song? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Earth Household

from the album "Darn Floor - Big Bite"
Words and Music by Terry Taylor, Tim Chandler, and Greg Flesch
©1987 Broken Songs (ASCAP)

Sleeping by the hearth of the earth household
Content and relaxed before the fire of life
It's becoming like a castle all woven of mist
Disintegrating when I want to grab a hold

Struggle to go somewhere beyond
The earth household, the earth household
Go to the other unknowable side
Of the earth household, the earth household

We chase with the hounds for the meaning of the world
The unattainable meaning of the world
Now I'm gonna run to the other side
Beyond the border land of death I ride

Slip through a tear in the fabric of the world
Speak the foreign language of a place beyond

I drink you endlessly toward my hollow heart
And wake at night repeating "How strange, how strange!"
All is touch and vision in a passionate kiss
And life's a drab curtain ready to be raised

Struggle to go somewhere beyond
Go to the other unknowable side
Of the earth household, the earth household

We chase with the hounds for the meaning of the world...

Cool
12-05-2008 17:30 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
jamespop jamespop is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Shape of Air.

Hands down.
12-05-2008 17:30 jamespop is offline Send an Email to jamespop Search for Posts by jamespop Add jamespop to your Buddy List
wes berlin wes berlin is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-275.jpg

Location: "but today i feel that too much of the church is merely a thermometer, which measures rather than molds popular opinion" mlk 1965

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"darn floor big bite" or "unattainable earth".......that's the best i can do.

12-05-2008 17:36 wes berlin is offline Send an Email to wes berlin Search for Posts by wes berlin Add wes berlin to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jamespop
Shape of Air.

Hands down.

my least favorite... Confused
how you like r3? Shocked Crying Roll Eyes

Cool
12-05-2008 17:40 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

"Strange Animals"
12-05-2008 18:14 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
brother joel brother joel is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-297.jpg

Registration Date: 03-03-2007

Half Light, Epoch, and Phase. I tend to be a fan of the more obscure songs of Terry's. For instance I think that Traps, Ensnares is a beautiful masterpiece. I do like every other song just as much though.

Before my heart drowns
Before the hammer pounds
Before the laughter consumes
Before the reaper looms
Before the land swallows
Before I enter the gallows
12-05-2008 19:45 brother joel is offline Search for Posts by brother joel Add brother joel to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Thumb Up! RE: Favorite DFBB song? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
I know this is a nearly impossible to answer, but what is your favorite Darn Floor - Big Bite song? For the sake of ease, we'll not include the songs on the bonus disc of the reissue.

I've only listened through the CD three times, but as of now, Divine Instant jumps out ever so slightly more than the rest. But even as I type this, I can think of reasons to place most of the other songs at the top.

I will, with a bit of hesitation, pick Divine Instant...today. Tomorrow I may pick a different song. Cool

Divine Instant has always been my favorite from my first listen. Pleased

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
12-05-2008 20:21 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
me-is-e me-is-e is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-288.jpg

Registration Date: 09-08-2008

The album ties together in so many ways that its been almost impossible to think of one song without bringing up at least three others. So I'm only going to try to list my stand out cuts, and there are 6/10!

"The Unattainable Earth"- Great song for theme of the album. An obvious first single. Lyrically and thematically you can't think of it without tying it to "Darn Floor, Big Bite".

"Shape of Air"- Pinnacle song for the album. Ties everything together. Beautiful closer of the theme.

"Earth Household"- Beautiful and a bit haunting.

"Strange Animals" & "Safety Net" are two other stand outs for me.

. . . I know we're talking about the main album, but I love alternate takes so there is a lot of joy in having the versions of "Unattainable Earth", "Safety Net", and "Half Ligh, Epoch and Phase" on there as well.

me-is-e
12-06-2008 11:37 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
jamespop jamespop is a male
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
Originally posted by jamespop
Shape of Air.

Hands down.

my least favorite... Confused
how you like r3? Shocked Crying Roll Eyes

my least favorite.

Tongue
12-08-2008 07:12 jamespop is offline Send an Email to jamespop Search for Posts by jamespop Add jamespop to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Thread Starter Thread Started by Ritchie_az

My 12-month-old seems to like Safety Net the best. When she's in her carseat (which is where she's usually at when I'm listening to DFBB) she kicks her legs and claps her hands to the beat of that song.

12-08-2008 08:23 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

Tough choice...as I firmly believe this has to be one of THE BEST recordings of all time...
For today I'll say - "The Unattainable Earth"

12-08-2008 09:25 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

Tough choice indeed. I'm very fond of all the songs, but for me "Safety Net" sticks out just a little past the rest. Something about the way the tension builds up, and how the band plays on the verses in 7/8 over Ed's steady 4/4. When that offbeat syncopated guitar kicks in during the last verse, that's one of those rare musical WOW! moments for me.

12-08-2008 09:35 ftg3plus4 is offline Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Thread Starter Thread Started by Ritchie_az

quote:
Tough choice indeed. I'm very fond of all the songs, but for me "Safety Net" sticks out just a little past the rest. Something about the way the tension builds up, and how the band plays on the verses in 7/8 over Ed's steady 4/4. When that offbeat syncopated guitar kicks in during the last verse, that's one of those rare musical WOW! moments for me.

OK, this is off topic.

What other DA/TST songs use a complex time signature?

12-08-2008 10:19 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
JR88 JR88 is a male
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-602.gif

Registration Date: 05-01-2003

Re: Favorite DFBB song? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Shape of Air...hands down best damb song on there!

P.S.
I have DFBB Frontline CD signed by Terry Cool

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by JR88: 12-08-2008 12:04.

12-08-2008 11:58 JR88 is offline Send an Email to JR88 Homepage of JR88 Search for Posts by JR88 Add JR88 to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of JR88: lostdog742003@yahoo.com View the MSN Profile for JR88
ftg3plus4 ftg3plus4 is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-622.jpg

Registration Date: 04-15-2005

quote:
OK, this is off topic.

What other DA/TST songs use a complex time signature?

I'm not aware of any off the top. I don't think it's at all a typical DA/TST thing to do, and that's part of what makes "Safety Net" stand out.

12-08-2008 12:48 ftg3plus4 is offline Search for Posts by ftg3plus4 Add ftg3plus4 to your Buddy List
me-is-e me-is-e is a male
Esculent Eskimo

images/avatars/avatar-288.jpg

Registration Date: 09-08-2008

quote:
My 12-month-old seems to like Safety Net the best. When she's in her carseat (which is where she's usually at when I'm listening to DFBB) she kicks her legs and claps her hands to the beat of that song.

Not to get too far off topic, but our daughter had some interesting taste in music for her age before she was one year old too. I remember we were listening to the Led Zepplin box set once and she started kicking, abbling, and reaching for the CD player. But then we later listened to the House of Blues Barbeque Blues CD and she started crying. She did work on memorizing the words to the Lost Cabin CD when she was three and now really seems to like "Lucky Ones" from MBD too.

Hey, I did get it back on topic, sort of.

me-is-e
12-08-2008 13:56 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

quote:

That takes talent.

My favorite is probably Strange Animals.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Jimmy Brown: 12-08-2008 14:11.

12-08-2008 14:11 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-467.jpg

Registration Date: 09-20-2005

quote:
My favorite is probably Strange Animals.

Ditto.

12-08-2008 14:46 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Sn Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Safety Net:

- offbeat timing
- driving music
- great lyrics

12-08-2008 21:03 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Favorite DFBB song?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH