Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Crazy Fan Letter » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Crazy Fan Letter 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
gowensby gowensby is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 03-25-2006

Crazy Fan Letter Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Years ago I downloaded "Crazy Fan Letter" from the Daniel Amos section of MP3.com. I think that was the title. Basically it was Terry reading a fan letter with music playing beneath the reading. Would anyone happen to have that or know where I could download it? Any guidance would be appreciated.
03-25-2006 16:38 gowensby is offline Homepage of gowensby Search for Posts by gowensby Add gowensby to your Buddy List
bigdork.2
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-231.jpg

Registration Date: 11-22-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

ok... found it Pleased

http://www.bigdork.org/music/MP3_Month/D..._fan_letter.mp3

Wacky Fan Letter

Hi, this is Camarillo Eddie. As you may or may not know, I’m in hiding right now. But every once in a while I get a letter passed on to me from my friend Terry Taylor of Daniel Amos.

Anyway this is a letter from a guy in a Dallas Texas. On the outside of the envelope it says “Read this important personal letter, your career depends upon it.”

Now this is a real letter, it’s no put on. It goes on:

Dear Terry and the rest of DA and The Swirling Eddies,
I just purchased Bibleland today. Tomorrow I plan to return it. Sorry to say, but your music has become mediocre so I’m spewing it back to the store. As a long time Daniel Amos fan this is a very melancholy day. However I do have some comments and questions and would appreciate a response.

First, is it possible to obtain Horrendous Disc on CD? My vinyl copy is a pain to turn over at the end of side one. This is your best album except for Shotgun Angel. And I’m terribly disappointed that I don’t have the CD version.

Related to the lousy state of you band right now, I have some suggestions as well as comments on what made your early music great. First of all your best albums are Daniel Amos, Shotgun Angel, Horrendous Disc and Alarma. I loved Vox Humana in the 80’s and still listen to it occasionally today. I became a Daniel Amos fan listening to Vox Humana and did not acquire Daniel Amos and Shotgun Angel until they were released on CD.

Now as to why I think your music has deteriorated in quality.

First, lately you seem to throw out albums every year without practicing adequate quality control in regards to what gets put on your CDs. Fans want to hear the good music that you write, not everything that pops into your mind.

Second, Sinicism and obtuse, cease to be useful when they squeeze out hope, joy and praise of God. There’s more to life than complaining about the melancholy state of affairs in the world, in the church and in your comprehension of our Lord.

Third, you need to add more piano and acoustic guitar to your recordings.

Forth, sometimes simple three to six chord songs actually sound good.

Finally, you should stop the wining sound in your vocals and increase harmonies.

Your return to the using the Daniel Amos name for the band rather than DA Swirling Stinking Eddies or Edward Daniel, Dumb Daniel Taylor, is to be applauded. But this return to sanity is fraudulent with your recent music does not live up to the standards the Daniel Amos name connotes. Kalhoun and Motorcycle provide me with the limited hope that you were attempting to begin producing decent music again. But my hope has been dashed with Bibleland. Perhaps my deception is made all the more complete by your association with the two fine releases JT’s Knock, Breath, Shine and Stonehill’s Wonderama.

In appreciation for your years of work recording and in the hope that I will help you get back to the right track musically. I’m providing you with a semi-comprehensive analysis of your recordings to date. It follows.

1. Daniel Amos, A-.
Good album all the way through. I’m from Texas and don’t mind the country sounds. I like vibe of Losers And Winners, Dusty Roads and the various 70s sounds of the cool Don’t Light Your On Fire.

2. Shotgun Angel, A+.
Completely excellent album in all ways, even if it sounds like the eagles at times. I even bought your Revelation album.

3. Alarma, A-.
Pretty good. Thanks for the bonus tracks on the CD.

4. Horrendous Disc, A.
Please get this one out on CD as quick as possible and let me know about it. My record has a scratch. You sound like The Beatles, but keep in mind that The Beatles sold lots of records.

5. Doppelganger, Incomplete.
I’m still trying to figure this one out.

6. Vox Humana, B.
It was very good in it’s time.

7. Fearful Symmetry, B-.
Was the name change to DA symbolic to the bands decline?

8. Darn Floor, Big Bite, C.
Glad I found this on sale.

9. Let’s Spin, C.
Thanks for not putting your names on this. At least I can think someone else was responsible for it. Big Guns and Ed are the reasons this album gets a passing grade.

10. Outdoor Elvis, C-.
Didn’t you already do your tribute to Mr. Graham on your first album? I find no joy in listening to songs about Swaggert, Baker and other quote unquote Masters. Were you trying to reassure yourself that you have some ability with Don’t Hate Yourself?

11. Telethon, C.
I’m On Your Team, The Pool, Sprinklerheads, Only One, Sudden Heaven and Soon are all good. Especially Team, but who wants to listen over and over again to the rest of the trash on the CD. And who wants to take the time to program a CD player for 24 recordings.

12. Live Bootleg, D
The Surf Suite is great, and other songs are good too, but the recording quality is too poor to get this album over the hump.

13. Kalhoun, B
Interior Glory and Glory Hound are excellent, but Kalhoun and Virgin Falls are Hideous. (hideous hideous)

14. Motorcycle, B
Pretty decent, only Guilty seriously annoys. Unfortunately this CD doesn’t have other really great songs. Traps and Snares, What’s Come Over Me and Noel are all good.

15. A Briefing Of The Ascent, B-
Applaud able effort

16. Bibleland, F
I’m getting my money back tomorrow. I’m sick of having to make an effort to like any of your music. And it is time for you to record something encouraging and less muddled sounding Christian.

17. Knowledge and Innocence,
I’ve ordered it.

18. Dogs Albums,
Their fine, but you guys should be better than (?)

I realize that there are a few albums that I’ve missed including a special release or two. Please provide me with a list or recording that did not make it onto my list here.
And tell me if they are worth purchasing and where I can purchase them. Also forgive me please, I’ve never seen Daniel Amos in concert. Will you be in Dallas any time soon? Please keep in mind that some albums are better than the sum of their songs. In addition it is extremely annoying to have to program a CD to have to skip certain lousy songs. I encourage you to listen to some of your old music. And some Stonehill, Keith Green, early Second Chapter, early Resurrection Band or early Jacobs Trouble in order to be reminded of what good music is.

Thank you in advance for prompt personal response to my letters. (questions are in bold type) If you have the time? I would be even more grateful if you heed my suggestions and start making better music.

Finally, does Daniel Amos have a specific purpose, mission or goals as a band? And if so, what are they?

Sincerely and In Christ,

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by bigdork.2: 03-25-2006 20:26.

03-25-2006 20:09 bigdork.2 is offline Send an Email to bigdork.2 Search for Posts by bigdork.2 Add bigdork.2 to your Buddy List
luthien1121 luthien1121 is a female
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 06-19-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wow.

Confused

And that's all I have to say about that! Tongue

03-25-2006 22:55 luthien1121 is offline Send an Email to luthien1121 Homepage of luthien1121 Search for Posts by luthien1121 Add luthien1121 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of luthien1121: luthien1013
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

The guy was nutso.

03-25-2006 23:54 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Scrimshaw Nick Scrimshaw Nick is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-387.jpg

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Bad news, Mom. I promised my soul to the devil this afternoon." "Oh? That recently?" ~ Calvin and Hobbes

Did Terry ever respond to him -- other than the reading of the letter on the Berry Vest cassette?

Somebody cured my political apathy but I'm not allowed to say who it is in a signature on the Message Boards
03-26-2006 04:51 Scrimshaw Nick is offline Send an Email to Scrimshaw Nick Search for Posts by Scrimshaw Nick Add Scrimshaw Nick to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Scrimshaw Nick: piratescrimshaw
bigdork.2
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-231.jpg

Registration Date: 11-22-2004

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
The guy was nutso.

...in the hope that I will help you get back to the right track musically.

talk about negativity Wink Tongue

03-26-2006 08:41 bigdork.2 is offline Send an Email to bigdork.2 Search for Posts by bigdork.2 Add bigdork.2 to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

No idea if Terry ever responded. I know Tom Gulotta told us this was an actual letter Terry recieved. Its pretty weird, for me even the album I like the least...I still like it. I don't understand this guys attitude unless it just comes from him wanting repeats of his favorite album. Sort of like he wants the band to be what he wants it to be. "I dont want alarma, I want Shotgun Angel II...and screw you if I don't get it!"

I could understand maybe a manager, saying maybe this direction or that direction might be good for a certain artists career. But thats for the purpose of trying to guide an artist to be more commercial usually, not just trying to guide them to keep making what you like.

audiori j

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-26-2006 12:05 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

Wow. I thought for sure that thing was a complete joke. Red Face
03-26-2006 12:59 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Strange Animal
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 04-19-2002

Question RE: Crazy Fan Letter Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by gowensby
Years ago I downloaded "beeheaded Fan Letter" from the Daniel Amos section of MP3.com. I think that was the title. Basically it was Terry reading a fan letter with music playing beneath the reading. Would anyone happen to have that or know where I could download it? Any guidance would be appreciated.

did anybody else notice this guy's location? Shocked Shocked Shocked

bobd

03-26-2006 19:28 Strange Animal is offline Search for Posts by Strange Animal Add Strange Animal to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male

images/avatars/avatar-412.jpg

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: Grand Encephalon - Words have their place but live what you say God can have His way when you hit them with Love

Yes

03-26-2006 19:39 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

For someone so negative about the music, he sure seemed intent on completing his collection. The dude bought alot of product & was interested in buying more.

03-26-2006 21:00 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Mark's version is pretty good, too. Pleased

03-26-2006 21:08 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
gowensby gowensby is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 03-25-2006

Thread Starter Thread Started by gowensby
Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Whoa Nelly---let me clarify---I AM NOT THAT GUY!!! As soon as I saw that the guy was from Dallas I braced myself for what was coming. I'm a transplant to Dallas from Philadelphia--so I can disassociate myself from his insanity.

I had the coolest mom who back in the early 80's took me to a Christian bookstore and as a 7th grader let me pick out some LP's. I picked-up Ping Pong, Horrendous Disc, Alarma, and I Want to be a Clone. I was hooked on good Christian music.

I've been able to see Terry/Lost Dogs in Dallas a couple of times and shared with him how much of an impact K&I made on my life as a young man and then especially with the passing of my mother.

Also...I was one of the winners in the Guess the Eddies contest back in 1989! Not the grand prize, but I did get a good collection of CD's! I still have the band photo autographed by Camarillo.

peace
03-26-2006 22:01 gowensby is offline Homepage of gowensby Search for Posts by gowensby Add gowensby to your Buddy List
Administrator

Hehe, whew.

The scary thing is one of these days it probably will be "that guy" posting on this board.. hope he's got thick skin.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
03-26-2006 22:04 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

I think its hilarious'.
There is a great piece I love on "Its for You" where (and I think its real) Mike plays out an answering machine message with someone trying to locate Aaron Smith..its just great.

I had heard that the Chavall Guivera's "Phone Message " to Dave Perkins is a phoney..not sure if that s real or not..but its still funy just the same.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-26-2006 22:25 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Administrator

I've seen at least two interviews with Steve where he claims its real. With a guy like that its hard to know though... maybe claiming its real is a joke too.

03-26-2006 22:40 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
I think its hilarious'.
There is a great piece I love on "Its for You" where (and I think its real) Mike plays out an answering machine message with someone trying to locate Aaron Smith..its just great.

i crack up every time i hear that......

roe loves putting answering machines on his albums...ever notice that?

the indian guy on pray naked...the girls singing on boat ashore....the aaron smith bit...

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

03-26-2006 23:30 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

I think it's pretty funny too.

(I love Bibleland, by the wayPleased )

03-27-2006 07:22 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Audi-
cool about : "the wrong George" cant say I've heard the Other T comment on it.

btw- I love bibleland..too!

You couldnt bang your head to DA (literally) ...til that recording came out.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
03-27-2006 08:05 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

Yikes! And the dude was a Jacob's Trouble fan, too. Ouch. That's embarrassing. But then again we always were freak magnets.
03-27-2006 11:37 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Crazy Fan Letter

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH