Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Top-Selling DA Albums » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Top-Selling DA Albums
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Pfiagra
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-137.jpg

Registration Date: 04-26-2002

Top-Selling DA Albums Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The "Top 5" thread made me wonder if anyone knows the approximate number of DA albums/cassettes/CDs sold for each release.

I know we can all probably guess which of the albums have had more sales than others, but are we talking 50,000 copies of Shotgun Angel (in all its forms) vs. 2,500 copies of Bibleland?

I know that this gets complicated with all of the re-releases of albums, but I was just curious if Terry or anyone on the DAMB has any info on this.

04-05-2006 16:04 Pfiagra is offline Send an Email to Pfiagra Search for Posts by Pfiagra Add Pfiagra to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Not really certain. I do know that some of the older albums (like SA) were in the tens of thousands. These days, it tends to be much less - but growing all of the time. It seems like there was a sharp drop-off somewhere along the line where people lost touch with the band and now folks are slowly returning.

I have no idea what the total sales for something like Buechner's Dream was, since Galaxy21 was distributing them to stores.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
04-05-2006 16:32 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have always heard the big sellers were Shotgun Angel, MotorCycle, Let's Spin and Outdoor Elvis and of course the first DA record.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Dr Rich: 04-06-2006 07:29.

04-06-2006 07:26 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Pfiagra
A Hot Wolly

images/avatars/avatar-137.jpg

Registration Date: 04-26-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by Pfiagra
RE: Top-Selling DA Albums Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Pfiagra
The "Top 5" thread made me wonder if anyone knows the approximate number of DA albums/cassettes/CDs sold for each release.

I guess 8-tracks also need to be added to that list.

HTF Daniel Amos 1980 8-Track Tape

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Pfiagra: 04-07-2006 22:44.

04-07-2006 22:37 Pfiagra is offline Send an Email to Pfiagra Search for Posts by Pfiagra Add Pfiagra to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

8-Tracks make me smile! Smile )

04-10-2006 07:18 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

I think that SA appealed to more people than most if not all other DA albums, and at the time there wasn't a whole lot of great Christian music out at the time. I think from HD on DA has never been that well received by the "church", and they've just had the ol' cult following that has grown quite a bit thanks to this site, J & E, The Lost Dogs, 77's, The Choir, Swirling Eddies, The Rapsures, Cowboy Billy Mcbride, The Riders Of The Western Sky, Chuck Smith,Dr. Edward Daniel Taylor, Sister Sludge & The Mud Honeys, Sprinklerhead.....Can I get an Amen?

P.S. Where's Steve?
04-10-2006 08:30 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
bigdork.2
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-231.jpg

Registration Date: 11-22-2004

quote:
Originally posted by Commander Cote
I think that SA appealed to more people than most .....Can I get an Amen?

SA: Completely excellent album in all ways, even if it sounds like the eagles at times.

AMEN

04-10-2006 10:18 bigdork.2 is offline Send an Email to bigdork.2 Search for Posts by bigdork.2 Add bigdork.2 to your Buddy List
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

Not only the Eagles, but parts on side 2 sounded like the Beatles, and remember the Beatles sold A LOT of records.....
04-10-2006 10:38 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

RE: Top-Selling DA Albums Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:

I'd buy it if I had an 8-track to play it on. Frown Crying

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
04-10-2006 14:11 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I have a still sealed 8 track of HD. Smile

I remember an article where Terry says Lets Spin sold more than most of their albums put together. May have been eghagertion? Theres also one article where he says Darn Floor sold 6,000 copies or something along those lines. Distribution makes a big difference, Maranatha was fairly big for its time, plus they were touring more then, and more accessible material.

04-10-2006 15:31 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Originally posted by bereal
quote:
quote:

I'd buy it if I had an 8-track to play it on. Frown Crying

Well, we could have saved that old stereo my parents had! Maybe I can find one at the junk lot! Tongue Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
04-10-2006 15:34 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

I read something several years back in some book that I don't remember the title of but was about the history of Christian music (but the book was old), and....

I remember it saying that DA's best selling album was Shotgun Angel and it was the #1 selling CCM album in 1977 (maybe 1978--also, it might have been the top selling CCM rock album, but I think I remember it saying it was #1 out of all CCM). And that Alarma was the third best selling CCM rock album in 1981 and Horrendous Dics was seventh.
(But it never said how many copies were sold.)

I think a good guess is that the top three best selling DA albums are SA, Alarma and HD (in that order). Doppelganger and the self-titled debute are probably not far behind.

I know the SE had some pretty good success back in the late 1980's and the LD had some pretty good success in the early 1990'. I have no idea how it might compare.

12-20-2008 06:05 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J

I remember an article where Terry says Let's Spin sold more than most of their albums put together. May have been exaggeration? There's also one article where he says Darn Floor sold 6,000 copies or something along those lines. Distribution makes a big difference, Maranatha was fairly big for its time, plus they were touring more then, and more accessible material.

If I recall, the biggest sellers were the first two, then Terry and Co. experienced "some kind of darkness of the soul" and things dropped off sharply.

As for Let's Spin, The Eddies had the fortunate and unfortunate burden of that Alarma Records contest. Name The Eddies and win the entire Frontline / Alarma catalog. So I imagine sales were high for that purpose, but when the audience was faced with the inaccessibilities they had with DA, the trend didn't carry over. I recall there being some sort of issue with Outdoor Elvis sales-wise, apart from the "Hide The Beer" controversy.

Here's a question... Would a brand new band very much like DA or Eddies make it in today's climate where a lot of differences are evident and accepted, or has the sound become too influenced by the past, and that would also provoke disinterest?
12-20-2008 07:29 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
Here's a question... Would a brand new band very much like DA or Eddies make it in today's climate where a lot of differences are evident and accepted, or has the sound become too influenced by the past, and that would also provoke disinterest?

If you're speaking specifically of the Christian market (even among those bands that have enjoyed mainstream success), I would ask: "Differences" compared to...? It all sounds like warmed-over Coldplay (or colded-over Warmplay) to me these days. Confused

No, I would say if a brand-spankin'-new crowd of eager youngsters with the modern-style bad haircuts and thriftstore formalwear showed up in the company of the likes of Switchfoot or Jars Of Clay playing music that sounded like Mr. Buechner's Dream, they'd just get a lot of funny looks.

Too many chords, and not enough existential angst, I think...
12-20-2008 10:45 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:

Starflyer 59?

(OK, they're not quite the same caliber as DA, but probably the closest "new band"--I know they've been around a while now--to DA).

12-20-2008 14:21 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
I remember it saying that DA's best selling album was Shotgun Angel and it was the #1 selling CCM album in 1977 (maybe 1978--also, it might have been the top selling CCM rock album, but I think I remember it saying it was #1 out of all CCM). And that Alarma was the third best selling CCM rock album in 1981 and Horrendous Dics was seventh.
(But it never said how many copies were sold.)

An interesting thing I remember that the book claimed is that in 1981 DA significantly outsold Petra, who released their "break-through" album Never Say Die. (I guess it helped that DA had two albums in '81: HD and Alarma).

12-20-2008 14:35 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Well, being the biggest selling CCM album for 1977 probably has the heft of being the blonde in a room full of bald people... All six of 'em.
12-22-2008 14:13 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J

Wouldn't that have bled through by now?

12-22-2008 22:53 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Top-Selling DA Albums

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH