Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Horrendous Disc » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Horrendous Disc
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Horrendous Disc Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have been listening to HD, the "Historical Archive Series" version. I re-read Larry Norman's liner notes. Is it just me, or does he seem to want to take credit for much of the sound & photography? He also "disses" the country sound that was prior to HD. Uncle T. told me once personally concerning SA, "Not bad for a sophomore release!" I will not get into the financial issues, but it just seems that Larry is arrogant in the liner notes concerning Terry and HD.

05-08-2006 13:39 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just reread them recently too-LK9

I love him - his musical contributions as a JP giant-
but the man?
well- from what I read-
hes a dink.
It comes through loud and clear in his notes.- and louder and clearer with each read.

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jiminy: 05-08-2006 13:57.

05-08-2006 13:57 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Seems to me he tends to tell 'half' the story.

I do know the album was recorded for maranatha originally, there was band debate over which songs should be dropped and which to be included. The recording was produced by Daniel Amos and Mike Stone. Engineering may have been Thom Roy or Doug Doyle. I think the inner costume photo was not supposed to be included, and that was a Larry decision. Larry's involvement from what I can gather was basically manufacture and distribution.

I do know there is interest in doing a special edition, with a lot of other period tracks. The idea has been discussed.

05-08-2006 14:31 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Commander Cote
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-18-2002

Who is expressing interest? Please not Larry. Although wasn't he going to do a HD Part ll about 666 years ago. I know he's been busy with a lot of albums with songs that were never released anywhere. Well, the songs have but there's maracas on one song, so that version has never been heard by mankind.

Truthfully, I think that the Trilogy that Larry put out was wonderful, but having met the guy and spent a little time with him, I didn't find him to be very personable.
05-08-2006 21:16 Commander Cote is offline Send an Email to Commander Cote Search for Posts by Commander Cote Add Commander Cote to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

Thread Starter Thread Started by Lost Canine

I just read a HUGE arrogance into his liner notes for HD. Shouldn't Uncle T, or one of the other band members, have been asked to contribute? How much influence did Larry really have on HD? Audiori(s)?

05-08-2006 21:36 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

I think Larry had it manufactured and distributed.

The story aint over yet, the discussions we've had were with Terry and Tom Gulotta. I do know we transfered some soundboard Horrendous Disc era live recordings that sound really good, and Terry has quite a bit of other material that can be used. From what I understand there is a complete 'other' master for Horrendous Disc the way it was when it was recorded for Maranatha in storage.

05-08-2006 23:08 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:
I think Larry had it manufactured and distributed.

I believe he also had it mixed by someone he knew..

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-09-2006 00:02 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dfroystad dfroystad is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-11-2002

....oh no! not the HD discussion all over again... Frown
05-09-2006 04:36 dfroystad is offline Send an Email to dfroystad Search for Posts by dfroystad Add dfroystad to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dfroystad
....oh no! not the HD discussion all over again... Frown

remember, larry inspired pete townsend to write tommy........

Cool
05-09-2006 04:47 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

I love the liner notes!
I also love the 16 versions of "Hound of Heaven" on the dics by Larry.
I also love a hammer smashing my toe.
I love a hole in my head.
I love...

Over the top??? Maybe. Pleased

Tongue

05-09-2006 06:52 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Horrendous Disc

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH