Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » So glad DA is still around - Doppleganger! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page So glad DA is still around - Doppleganger!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
NonProphet NonProphet is a male
Esculent Eskimo

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

She's All Heart Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wow, this is so wierd! I just got some new drum sample software for my studio workstation, and to "road test" it, I recorded a cover of one of my fave DA tunes: She's All Heart!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who still loves this gem from Vox Humana. I've posted an MP3 here in my "Shared Files" briefcase for your enjoyment and commentary:

http://homepage.mac.com/broderson

Over the years, I've become friends with Jerry Chamberlain. On my last visit he showed me his original spiral-bound notebook with all the production notes, lyrics and ideas for "Doppelganger." I was totally blown away... one of the coolest things ever. Like you, my young life was forever altered by that album and subsequent tour. One of the only true mergers of rock, art, poetry and faith ever created by anybody.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by NonProphet: 04-18-2005 13:08.

04-18-2005 13:06 NonProphet is offline Send an Email to NonProphet Homepage of NonProphet Search for Posts by NonProphet Add NonProphet to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

RE: She's All Heart Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

you're the only person who seems to know where Jerry is! Very cool story, anyone else here jealous?

04-18-2005 21:14 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

not after I get my goon squad after him......

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.
04-19-2005 07:20 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

He's in Nashvegas with the Pickled Beats ain't he?
They make a CD yet?

04-19-2005 07:21 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Esculent Eskimo

Jerry is working on mixes for a 5-song EP with Pickled Beats (his British Invasion cover band). He's sent me some preliminary mixes... they're VERY good, and the Beats are getting a really good reputation in Nash.

04-19-2005 13:12 NonProphet is offline Send an Email to NonProphet Homepage of NonProphet Search for Posts by NonProphet Add NonProphet to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

Nice, nice, nice version! I was really impressed with the mix, dynamics, and the way it wasn't a slavish copy of the original but had some of "you" in it as well.
I'm bookmarking your site...

www.smashthatcomputer.com
04-19-2005 13:22 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

RE: So glad DA is still around - Doppleganger! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
Originally posted by Lysander
First discovered them in about 1986 at a local Christian bookstore when I was about 13. They had one of those charts that compared secular bands with Christian bands that sounded "similar".

yup......
ok, well 15 and 1984..... Big Grin

I was 14 in 1986, but had yet to discover DA. I actually didn't discover them until recently when my husband, Mountain Fan, bought MBD and put it in. Great CD. You must get it Lysander. Oh, and welcome to the DAmb! Smile

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
04-19-2005 15:33 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
freak freak is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-270.jpg

Registration Date: 11-13-2003

it was Alarma & HD back in '81 that turned me on to this amazingly creative and artistic bunch... but Doppelganger definitely secured me as a fan who would purchase anything DA ever released...

~f

dit, dit, doo
04-20-2005 07:15 freak is offline Send an Email to freak Homepage of freak Search for Posts by freak Add freak to your Buddy List
eddie p eddie p is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 09-30-2004

I was disappointed with Doppelganger at first. I was like, "What's all this Hollow Man noise about?" Then it got sucked into a vacuum cleaner before I could really listen to it for a long time. It was a few years before I got it back. And of course I grew to love it as my tastes were seasoned.
I was extremely into HD at the time and I hadn't heard Alarma yet but the Local store had Doppelganger so I got that. It wasn't til the late 80's that I finally got Alarma with the chronicles folded and shrink-wrapped to the cassette.
Anyway

04-20-2005 20:57 eddie p is offline Send an Email to eddie p Search for Posts by eddie p Add eddie p to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

quote:
Originally posted by eddie p
Then it got sucked into a vacuum cleaner before I could really listen to it for a long time. It was a few years before I got it back.

You don't change the bag on your vacuum very often, do you?

04-20-2005 21:35 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by PuP
quote:
Then it got sucked into a vacuum cleaner before I could really listen to it for a long time. It was a few years before I got it back.

To get that out would be worth tearing the bag open and getting a new bag for the vaccuum.

Smile
04-20-2005 21:37 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

Shocked Huh??!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by bereal
quote:
Originally posted by PuP
quote:

To get that out would be worth tearing the bag open and getting a new bag for the vaccuum.

waitwaitwaitwaitwaitWAITAMINUTE!

I think we're all missing the point here. What I wanna know is:

1. What the heck were you vacuuming that you sucked a cassette tape up? Or better yet, where exactly do you store your cassettes that they would be in danger of being sucked up by a vacuum cleaner?

2. How HUGE would a vacuum have to be to just engulf a cassette tape outright?

3. Did you go ahead and just finish vacuuming or did you stop and turn it over and look at what must have made that god-awful noise when your vacuum sucked up a cassette tape?

I am trying to get this picture in my head and I'm havign some trouble... Smile )
04-21-2005 01:45 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
mike mike is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-15-2004

RE: Huh??!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Davison

1. What the heck were you vacuuming that you sucked a cassette tape up? Or better yet, where exactly do you store your cassettes that they would be in danger of being sucked up by a vacuum cleaner?

3. Did you go ahead and just finish vacuuming or did you stop and turn it over and look at what must have made that god-awful noise when your vacuum sucked up a cassette tape?

I am trying to get this picture in my head and I'm havign some trouble... Smile )

Eddie is the perfect blend of Kramer and George if that helps
you understand the situation any better, and in typical George
fashion he proably did not want to give the vacuum the satisfaction
of it knowing that it ate something he valued.

As far as how it got sucked up - total Kramer. Eddie probaly tripped
over the coffee table, knocked down the entertainemt center at which
point everything came crashing down on the floor and that is how the
tape got sucked up.

m

04-21-2005 07:03 mike is offline Send an Email to mike Homepage of mike Search for Posts by mike Add mike to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

RE: Huh??!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by mike
quote:

Eddie is the perfect blend of Kramer and George if that helps
you understand the situation any better, and in typical George
fashion he proably did not want to give the vacuum the satisfaction
of it knowing that it ate something he valued.

As far as how it got sucked up - total Kramer. Eddie probaly tripped
over the coffee table, knocked down the entertainemt center at which
point everything came crashing down on the floor and that is how the
tape got sucked up.

m

LOL Big Grin

Thanks for the visual mike! Tongue

Smile
04-21-2005 16:49 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

RE: She's All Heart Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey Nonprophet,
I don't know if I'm allowed to say this, but... I think I like your version better than the original
04-25-2005 00:17 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Esculent Eskimo

quote:
Originally posted by Eis
Hey Nonprophet,
I don't know if I'm allowed to say this, but... I think I like your version better than the original

Woah, nelly!

What a blasphem...uh, I mean compliment. Thanks for saying so. I just wish I'd had this one done when the "When Worlds Colllide" tribute was being put together. Being a child of the 80s, I've always thought the criticism of Vox Humana's production was so much hindsight... I mean almost EVERYONE was experimenting with electronic gear back then. The songs on Vox shine through any production trends, though. A long time ago, I also did a version of "Sanctuary" that sounds like Pink Floyd... maybe I'll post that next if I can find it...

04-25-2005 09:46 NonProphet is offline Send an Email to NonProphet Homepage of NonProphet Search for Posts by NonProphet Add NonProphet to your Buddy List
Jerry Davison Jerry Davison is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-30-2005

quote:
Originally posted by NonProphet
Being a child of the 80s, I've always thought the criticism of Vox Humana's production was so much hindsight... I mean almost EVERYONE was experimenting with electronic gear back then. The songs on Vox shine through any production trends, though.

I absolutely agree! I actually think the 80's electronic sound enhances the theme of the record, what with technology dehumanizing us and all the spiritual implications it carries. I agree that the songs are so strong they withstand the outdated production. It's always been one of my favorites.

Interestingly, when Terry Taylor was producing our second CD, I asked him what was his favorite DA record (keep in mind this was 1990). He told me he really liked Vox Humana but regretted the production. He said he wished he could re-record it with more updated production. Me, too! Cool
04-25-2005 11:42 Jerry Davison is offline Send an Email to Jerry Davison Search for Posts by Jerry Davison Add Jerry Davison to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Jerry Davison: Davie Bluff
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NonProphet
Being a child of the 80s, I've always thought the criticism of Vox Humana's production was so much hindsight... I mean almost EVERYONE was experimenting with electronic gear back then. The songs on Vox shine through any production trends, though.

I absolutely agree! I actually think the 80's electronic sound enhances the theme of the record, what with technology dehumanizing us and all the spiritual implications it carries. I agree that the songs are so strong they withstand the outdated production. It's always been one of my favorites.

Interestingly, when Terry Taylor was producing our second CD, I asked him what was his favorite DA record (keep in mind this was 1990). He told me he really liked Vox Humana but regretted the production. He said he wished he could re-record it with more updated production. Me, too! Cool

My sentiments exactly! And Vox is just fine like it is (although a re-recording would be cool). Cool
04-25-2005 16:31 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » So glad DA is still around - Doppleganger!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH