Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » DA - The Making of Buechners (DVD) » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (19): « first ... « previous 17 18 [19] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA - The Making of Buechners (DVD) 22 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1822 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1822 Votes - Average Rating: 9.1822 Votes - Average Rating: 9.18
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2003
Location: "An autoposy will make him into a dorf-o-lantern on the Mesaage Boards ."

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Big Grin

01-10-2006 22:00 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Finally...! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I suppose I should be expecting the DVD in a few days, and I'm excited. I'm looking over the 'reviews' immediately preceeding this post, and while a couple have crossed up as negative, I know this is going to be right up my alley. I love those special edition CDs that pack demo versions on with the original.

Also, I have Dream Theater's "Making Of Scenes From A Memory" CD, and that sort of 'man behind the curtain' peeking always intrigues me. As someone constantly banging away at making a noise (joyful or otherwise), it's encouraging to see the work processes of others.

So yeah, I'm enthusiastic.
DwD
01-26-2006 17:36 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

RE: Finally...! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DwDunphy
I suppose I should be expecting the DVD in a few days, and I'm excited. I'm looking over the 'reviews' immediately preceeding this post, and while a couple have crossed up as negative, I know this is going to be right up my alley. I love those special edition CDs that pack demo versions on with the original.

Also, I have Dream Theater's "Making Of Scenes From A Memory" CD, and that sort of 'man behind the curtain' peeking always intrigues me. As someone constantly banging away at making a noise (joyful or otherwise), it's encouraging to see the work processes of others.

So yeah, I'm enthusiastic.
DwD

You'll love it. I do..............................well, except for Ed...................
nobody likes him

01-27-2006 12:24 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
uvulapie uvulapie is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 09-09-2003

At Long Last Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My review for the Making of DVD is finally available online!

http://www.whatzup.com/Music/cd020206f.html
02-03-2006 12:34 uvulapie is offline Send an Email to uvulapie Homepage of uvulapie Search for Posts by uvulapie Add uvulapie to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of uvulapie: uvulapie
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thank ya guys, its hard for us to be objective. We know there are rough edges and there was always things we could of tweaked here and there. Realistically we probably should of made the things stronger by trimming it down, but the album is so expansive and it took so many hours to put together we felt we kind of had to show bits of as many songs as possible and express just how much work is involved. I think all the best footage was included, there were times where the camera rolled and nothing much was going on or the camera holder was tired and let the camera wander or something. (I think there was a nice segment where Tim thought the camera was on when it wasn't and thought it was off when it wasn't. He edited in a segment of him saying he meant to do that.) Tongue

The intention was to let the viewer feel like they just happened to be hanging out there while stuff was going on. And show the progression from rough song pieces to the final end product and all the steps in between. How much the band bounces ideas off each other and experiments. The interview segments help express like what was said the bands feelings about working together and their own astonishment at the creative process. They sometimes can't even put into words how it all unfolds or explain it.

Theres plenty of parts I find very interesting just to watch them and you can see the wheels turning as they ponder what to add to a song. And your review is correct, a lot of the footage is exactly them recording a guitar part or drum track or vocal that was actually used on the album.
I love the fact the 'come in here Ed' part was captured and the explosive laughter of everyone in the room. That was so classic DA.

There was another part in film where they just played it back and exploded in laughter again, we left it off because that would of been just redundant.

When we were working on the DVD we kept sending the band edits to get feedabck and they helped a ton. Eventually Terry said lets go for it, lets print it. He added in a self depreciating manner he wished we could edit some of the scenes of him out. Probably very hard for him to watch up close and personal camera shots of himself, eh? We love ya uncle Terry.

02-03-2006 14:01 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Just watched it. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

First: Is it just me, or does Terry kinda look like Beau Bridges?

Second: How long has this band (or this lineup) been together? Is it possible to be in a creative working relationship that long and appear to have zero animous happening? It was refreshing to see people creating something after so many years and not dousing each other with loathing. Heck, most bands can't avoid "hatin'" after two years of inception!

Third: I think everyone on this board who messes around with making music will agree just how eerie it is to see DA putting together the album. After years of living with this music, one gets the impression these things just happen. Then you see the work process, the ubiquitous rectangle cassette recorder, the sweating over tones, the brain-wracking when unique fills are required, and you realize that they're doing exactly the things you've done (to lesser degrees of success, perhaps)! It's terribly inspirational.

Four: Any young group should probably sit down with this DVD at least once. If they're not ready to put in this sort of commitment twenty-odd years down the line, it might be time to reexamine the long-term goals. I've often thought of what it takes to make something that stands up to scrutiny over long periods of time. I've concluded that Buechner's is that kind of recording, so it's refreshing to see the unglamorous nuts-and-bolts aspect of it. Aspiring little band-ites could take a lesson from this and, if they're receptive, could do worse than trying to make recordings with longevity.

In short, the DVD is a bit raw, but I enjoyed it a lot and it was a good bit of fun too. Still, I'm mostly struck by the comeraderie within the group during recording. It's just kind of nice to know, in the day and age of Yoko / Macca Bashing, such things are still possible.

DwD
02-03-2006 20:10 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

DW -- this lineup has been together since 1984. you're watching old friends hanging out who, i think, have learned to appreciate each other, and don't get to hang out together that often.
02-09-2006 08:27 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

I just watched this DVD again not too long ago.

I enjoy it more and more with each viewing!

I love the ending when Tim chases his kids around the house:

"I'll TELL you a story!" Tongue

02-17-2006 14:48 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

That stuff is fun. That was on the tapes that were lost a while, when we finally got it we laughed pretty hard.

02-18-2006 07:13 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Captain Pedantic Captain Pedantic is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-239.gif

Registration Date: 12-18-2002
Location: "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence." - Vyvian - The Young Ones

I watched this once just after I got it all those months ago and not since. I keep meaning to but other stuff interrupts me like the people I share a house with

02-19-2006 20:18 Captain Pedantic is offline Send an Email to Captain Pedantic Search for Posts by Captain Pedantic Add Captain Pedantic to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Captain Pedantic
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

My kids quote Tim when he said, "Here I am. Here I am, walking to the studio. Aaaaaggggggghhhhh." Then they burst into laughter every time. I think that is their favorite part of the whole video. Big Grin

Now we have to watch it on the computer until we get a new DVD player since ours wasn't working and we didn't figure it out until it was about a month out of the 90-day warranty. Mad

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
02-19-2006 22:26 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

what a great disc this is! thanks again guys.

04-23-2006 18:39 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
clonliness clonliness is a male
Mind Peach

images/avatars/avatar-105.jpg

Registration Date: 04-06-2006
Location: He's a real nowhere man, living in his nowhere land, making all his nowhere plans for nobody.

Just got it and watched it through once; and in fits and starts a couple of times. As an amateur I found it to be exactly what I needed to see. I love all the experimentation on this, especially the stuff that doesn't quite work. What it shows is that often you need to surrender your ego in order to service the song. These guys obviously don't let stubborness against themselves or each other prevent them from trying things a different way. Also it's amazing to watch Greg flesh out a guitar part, (pardon the pun). What an amazing guitar player! (I love that he's playing through a POD). He seems to have about fifteen ideas up his sleeve which can be whipped out at a moments notice. I wish they had something like this for each album. The way in which they approach the creative process is also great for me to see. They seem to have more of a general direction than a concrete idea when they start tracking. This is something that worried me about my stuff, as I tend to hash things out in the studio, rather than knowing exactly what I want to hear, (mostly). My only gripe is about "the legends tour". The performances are of course top notch, but the sound is overall mid-rangy which detracts from the quality of the performances. It also makes Terry's voice sound tenebrous and weak rather than the usual delicate but confident sound I'm used to. Overall the DVD is so good, I think I'll watch it regularly and repeatedly.

"Has anyone ever noticed that my name is mis-spelled"?
-cloneliness
05-02-2006 13:14 clonliness is offline Search for Posts by clonliness Add clonliness to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yeah I do wish the Legends footage was better, it is what it is, and its the best we got. Often times those festival on the fly mixes when listened to at home instead of outside under a tent end up sounding less 'good'. Plus, I believe that is the first performance of Buechner songs live.

05-02-2006 15:12 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-595.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Hey...

I got this DVD a few weeks ago (finally) and just wanted to say to the Townsend brothers that you guys did a wonderful job with it. Thanks for the work you did putting it out. It was fun and educational to see the creative process of DA.

04-29-2009 23:44 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Pages (19): « first ... « previous 17 18 [19] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » DA - The Making of Buechners (DVD)

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH