Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DA Motherlode arrived today - what to listen to first » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page DA Motherlode arrived today - what to listen to first
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by DaLe uReViG
quote:
Originally posted by dennis
maybe it's just me?

here is my thoughts,

for me I feel exactly like you do dennis, with both mike & terry & I had them in my home for 3 hrs...

for me it seems kinda awkward, because of the collective impact that their MuSiC has had on me & my Life.

so when I meet them in person, WoW !

example:
at the BBQ I needed to Verify 100% that they were doing the living room show, and to make sure that I did everything how they wanted it etc. & had everything needed for the show...
after they both confirmed the show was on, I pretty much lost all concentration and forgot to ask the Very questions I had originally went to ask them...

so, you may be right that WE build it up more in Our minds since his (thier) music has meant so much to US over the years.

We should ask Joe Cote OFF board what he thinks...
he probably can enlighten us...

Yeah, I plan too! Pleased

I'm sure part of it is there's this weird pressure meeting new people. I was a bit nervous about meeting some of the fine folks here!

No worries! Pleased

08-08-2003 16:02 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 07-27-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by ToryNotion
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

re: Zoom Daddy. I really haven't had the time to give it the kind of listen it deserves yet. My initial impression is that the sound is much fuller than OE and it sounds more like a DA album than OE does. I've seen comments in various places on the web that ZD has some of TST best lyrics, but i've never really been a great judge of that sort of thing.

08-08-2003 19:46 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

This is what I kept thinking about while reading this thread...

"You want an autograph, what is your need?
Mine is for you to know that I really bleed (we're crying)
Here we are

Slide #11- Moving about in our own exclusive spheres
Slide #12- We touch not, we are not even near
Slide #13- Here I am, here I am, auhhh
Slide #14- Here I am, here I am, there you are, there you are
Slide #15- Here I am, here I am, there you are, there you are
Slide #16- Here I am, here I am, there you are, there you are
Slide #17- Here I am, here I am, there you are, there you are
Slide #18- Here I am, here I am,
I'm reading a letter that says you like my record"

08-08-2003 21:45 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

quote:
Originally posted by ToryNotion
re: Zoom Daddy. I really haven't had the time to give it the kind of listen it deserves yet. My initial impression is that the sound is much fuller than OE and it sounds more like a DA album than OE does. I've seen comments in various places on the web that ZD has some of TST best lyrics, but i've never really been a great judge of that sort of thing.

I think this is a pretty accurate description of the albums. Personally, OE will always be my "first". But ZD does have some great imagery in the lyrics.

08-08-2003 21:47 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Slappedhard
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 07-20-2003

Conversation with Terry Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by zippetydoodaddy

It's like anybody, though. If you walk into a room and someone engages you in convo, you let a little of yourself out at a time until you're comfortable. I think we feel like we know Terry well because he's expressed himself so well in his music and writings. This puts Terry at a disadvantage. We are familiar with his personality. But he knows nothing about us so that familiarity doesn't go both ways.

That is, until you touch him somehow with what you say.

My experiences exactly. Of the several times I have talked with Mr. Taylor, only two times did he zoom in on what I was saying. One time in the early 90s in Wilmar, MN at Sonshine when I was thanking him for the "Fruits of the Spirit" kid's cassettes he had put out - how my kids all enjoyed them and listened every night to them (on one segment you can even hear "Drving in England" in the background). Another time he zoomed in was just last Monday 8-4-2003 at Dale's living room show, where I shared regarding a breakfast I had with my Dad - how he regretted not being the father he could/should have - that my other sibling was still making bad choices at 42 years old (he blamed himself). I shared with my Dad the lyrics from "Sins of the Fathers" - the line: Who can avoid the sins of the fathers. Go ahead kid, it's your turn to walk on water. It communicates our responsibilities as fathers, and our children's responsibilities for their own actions.
The song reminded me of the right scriptures to minister with. Terry thanked me and really appreciated that.

Then I asked him where Cinema Girl was and asked him when it could be released!
08-09-2003 10:39 Slappedhard is offline Send an Email to Slappedhard Search for Posts by Slappedhard Add Slappedhard to your Buddy List
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

Listened to most of the DA motherlode, then the Victoria Williams/Mark Olson/Creekdippers motherlode arrived. After a respectable period of Creekdipping, i'll return to the DA.

08-11-2003 09:28 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by PuP
This is what I kept thinking about while reading this thread...

"You want an autograph, what is your need?
Mine is for you to know that I really bleed (we're crying)
Here we are

Slide #11- Moving about in our own exclusive spheres
Slide #12- We touch not, we are not even near
Slide #13- Here I am, here I am, auhhh
Slide #14- Here I am, here I am, there you are, there you are
Slide #15- Here I am, here I am, there you are, there you are
Slide #16- Here I am, here I am, there you are, there you are
Slide #17- Here I am, here I am, there you are, there you are
Slide #18- Here I am, here I am,
I'm reading a letter that says you like my record"

Yeah, I really like that song, it really sums up the odd relationship via records that most of us have with Terry.

08-11-2003 09:35 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Official Impasto

Registration Date: 03-19-2002
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

my Conversation with Terry Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Slappedhard
quote:

It's like anybody, though. If you walk into a room and someone engages you in convo, you let a little of yourself out at a time until you're comfortable. I think we feel like we know Terry well because he's expressed himself so well in his music and writings. This puts Terry at a disadvantage. We are familiar with his personality. But he knows nothing about us so that familiarity doesn't go both ways.

My experiences exactly. Of the several times I have talked with Mr. Taylor, only two times did he zoom in on what I was saying. One time in the early 90s in Wilmar, MN at Sonshine when I was thanking him for the "Fruits of the Spirit" kid's cassettes he had put out - how my kids all enjoyed them and listened every night to them (on one segment you can even hear "Drving in England" in the background). Another time he zoomed in was just last Monday 8-4-2003 at Dale's living room show, where I shared regarding a breakfast I had with my Dad - how he regretted not being the father he could/should have - that my other sibling was still making bad choices at 42 years old (he blamed himself). I shared with my Dad the lyrics from "Sins of the Fathers" - the line: Who can avoid the sins of the fathers. Go ahead kid, it's your turn to walk on water. It communicates our responsibilities as fathers, and our children's responsibilities for their own actions.
The song reminded me of the right scriptures to minister with. Terry thanked me and really appreciated that.

^ wow great comments above, well here is my Conversation with Terry...

I set Him & Mike up in our bedroom as thier dressing room & to touch base as to how they wanted to do the show etc...

terry asked me where the bathroom was so I told him right down the hall, around the corner...

Terry thanked me and really appreciated that. Big Grin

08-11-2003 09:53 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

I smell a REwrite.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Here I am, here I am....
There's the bathroom, there's the bathroom....

Shocked
Big Grin

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
08-11-2003 10:08 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
Squidzit
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-629.jpg

Registration Date: 05-14-2003

chuckle, chuckle.....

Big Grin

....now that's funny.

~Groucho~
08-11-2003 10:43 Squidzit is offline Send an Email to Squidzit Homepage of Squidzit Search for Posts by Squidzit Add Squidzit to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by DaLe uReViG
quote:
Originally posted by Slappedhard
quote:

^ wow great comments above, well here is my Conversation with Terry...

I set Him & Mike up in our bedroom as thier dressing room & to touch base as to how they wanted to do the show etc...

terry asked me where the bathroom was so I told him right down the hall, around the corner...

Terry thanked me and really appreciated that. Big Grin

I hope he put all his fruit in one basket to help him function better in your can! Shocked

08-11-2003 14:06 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

Listening to Songs of the Heart Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Really, really pleasantly suprised by this album. Got it today. I must have a real soft spot for 1/2 spoken 1/2 sung songs and never realized it. I saw an interview w/ TST where he said 'Bibleland' was the closest DA ever got to punk. I'd vote for 'Turn this Off' instead. Really good stuff. Thanks guys.

08-12-2003 21:39 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

If he were still alive, I could imagine Frank Zappa listening to 'Zoom Daddy' and saying 'hey man, this is pretty good.'

08-13-2003 10:27 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

quote:
I must have a real soft spot for 1/2 spoken 1/2 sung songs and never realized it. I saw an interview w/ TST where he said 'Bibleland' was the closest DA ever got to punk.

Or the Pixies, half creepy whisper, half demon-cry!

Bibleland Rocks! I just bought that on CD at the BBQ! Smile

08-13-2003 10:29 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
ToryNotion
Mind Peach

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:
I must have a real soft spot for 1/2 spoken 1/2 sung songs and never realized it. I saw an interview w/ TST where he said 'Bibleland' was the closest DA ever got to punk.

Or the Pixies, half creepy whisper, half demon-cry!

Bibleland Rocks! I just bought that on CD at the BBQ! Smile

...then God is 7 then God is 7 then God is 7
this Monkey's gone to heaven

08-13-2003 11:13 ToryNotion is offline Send an Email to ToryNotion Search for Posts by ToryNotion Add ToryNotion to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

The Pixies are awsome!

Is she weird?
Is she white?
Is she promised to the night?
AND HER HEAD HAS NO ROOM! AND HER HEAD HAS NO ROOOM!

08-13-2003 15:54 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » DA Motherlode arrived today - what to listen to first

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH