Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » the Bible as Ouiji Board » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page the Bible as Ouiji Board
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 03-13-2002

the Bible as Ouiji Board Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Recently I stumbled across the WWJD Ouiji board at this web site here:

The WWJD Ouiji Board

I can't say how, exactly...

Anyway, the thought occurred to me that many Christians use their Bible as a Ouiji Board.

You know the old joke. A guy is feeling down so he (seeking guidance from the Lord) opens his bible and sticks his finger on a verse. It reads:

"Judas went out and hung himself..."

So he shakes his head and thinks, nah, that ain't it! And opens to another place and sticks his finger on a verse, and that one says:

"Go and do thou likewise..."

(A bad day for that guy, I must say...)

Anyway, you all know what I'm talking about. If you don't do it yourself, haven't done it for yourself, etc. then I'm sure you've known somebody that uses their Bible like that (like a Ouiji Board) for guidance.

Anyway, when I thought of all this I thought: Now why hasn't Terry Taylor written a song that talks about THAT!?!?!?!

Or has he?

So my big question is: is there anyplace in the vast discography of TST that we come across any reference to somebody doing that little random-bible-verse-for-divine-guidance trick?

Cheers!
Gus

P.S. If not... then Terry, please write something! Big Grin

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

05-15-2002 10:21 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Gamgee Gamgee is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

Third part to that joke Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kaf-N-8ed

You know the old joke. A guy is feeling down so he (seeking guidance from the Lord) opens his bible and sticks his finger on a verse. It reads:

So he shakes his head and thinks, nah, that ain't it! And opens to another place and sticks his finger on a verse, and that one says:

Okay, the guy thinks, third time's the charm. He opens his Bible to yet another place, sticks his finger there, and reads, "And what thou doest, doest quickly."

But as for using the Bible as a Ouiji board, I think the best example of that is the whole "Bible Code" nonsense.
05-15-2002 10:33 Gamgee is offline Send an Email to Gamgee Homepage of Gamgee Search for Posts by Gamgee Add Gamgee to your Buddy List
Andrew Andrew is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: Bleak human landscape, flat roofed houses, bad breath, vacant lots and murder evidence. God saves and leads a remnant of scraggly, faithless people, in spite of themsleves and just because he feels like it.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Gamgee
quote:

Okay, the guy thinks, third time's the charm. He opens his Bible to yet another place, sticks his finger there, and reads, "And what thou doest, doest quickly."

But as for using the Bible as a Ouiji board, I think the best example of that is the whole "Bible Code" nonsense.

Of course one must remember St Augustine used the Bible as a wiji board struck the right verse and was converted.

Whose to say God can't use it that way? Don't ya trust him enough?

(No I wouldn't use it that way either - too scared)

In the Adrian Plass sacred diary series one of the characters is certain God wants him to be a misisonary in the middle East 'cos every time he opens his Bbile it talks about the area.
05-15-2002 16:18 Andrew is offline Send an Email to Andrew Homepage of Andrew Search for Posts by Andrew Add Andrew to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz YIM Account Name of Andrew: zoomdaddynz
Luteous Llama

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kaf-N-8ed
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
quote:
Originally posted by Gamgee
quote:

Of course one must remember St Augustine used the Bible as a wiji board struck the right verse and was converted.

Hey, if St. Augustine uses the Bible as a Ouiji board, that's good enough for me! Smile

~G~

For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava

05-15-2002 17:33 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

it's all kinda creepy and weird

05-15-2002 18:07 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

quote:

The WWJD Ouiji Board

at least they let you if you don't like your first answer Big Grin

05-16-2002 10:20 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Über Parrot
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-20-2002
Location: I am Right.........all the time! Repent you lost sinners. Stop your swearing and cussing and drinking and R movies and smoking and laughing and having fun and those stoopid smiley faces

quote:

The WWJD Ouiji Board

I can't say how, exactly...

Anyway, the thought occurred to me that many Christians use their Bible as a Ouiji Board.

Anyway, you all know what I'm talking about. If you don't do it yourself, haven't done it for yourself, etc. then I'm sure you've known somebody that uses their Bible like that (like a Ouiji Board) for guidance.

Anyway, when I thought of all this I thought: Now why hasn't Terry Taylor written a song that talks about THAT!?!?!?!

Or has he?

So my big question is: is there anyplace in the vast discography of TST that we come across any reference to somebody doing that little random-bible-verse-for-divine-guidance trick?

Cheers!
Gus

P.S. If not... then Terry, please write something! Big Grin

This is Basphemy! How can anyone put Jesus on a Ouiji Board? This world is going down fast. You beter know where you stand.

Über

05-16-2002 12:25 Über Parrot is offline Send an Email to Über Parrot Search for Posts by Über Parrot Add Über Parrot to your Buddy List
Luteous Llama

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kaf-N-8ed

quote:
Originally posted by Über Parrot

This is Basphemy! How can anyone put Jesus on a Ouiji Board? This world is going down fast. You beter know where you stand.

Über

Hey Ub,

I agree that it's sick to put a picture of Jesus on a Ouiji board. I think Blasphemous is too strong a word...

but, isn't is just as "Blasphemous" the way people sometimes test God by doing the little point-yer-finger- and-see-where-it-lands ritual with their Bibles????

~G~

For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava

05-16-2002 15:12 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:

Über

Hey Ub,

I agree that it's sick to put a picture of Jesus on a Ouiji board. I think Blasphemous is too strong a word...

but, isn't is just as "Blasphemous" the way people sometimes test God by doing the little point-yer-finger- and-see-where-it-lands ritual with their Bibles????

~G~

ouiji boards creep me out, but "blasphmeous?" I would not be so quick to judge.

I would not.

05-16-2002 21:42 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Über Parrot
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 04-20-2002
Location: I am Right.........all the time! Repent you lost sinners. Stop your swearing and cussing and drinking and R movies and smoking and laughing and having fun and those stoopid smiley faces

quote:
quote:

Über

Hey Ub,

~G~

Any time you involve God in a ''game'' of chance, you diminish God from being All Knowing to a Magic 8 Ball.

Ü

05-17-2002 14:32 Über Parrot is offline Send an Email to Über Parrot Search for Posts by Über Parrot Add Über Parrot to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
quote:

Über

Hey Ub,

~G~

Any time you involve God in a ''game'' of chance, you diminish God from being All Knowing to a Magic 8 Ball.

Ü

I don't think there is one among us who could diminish God if we wanted too. 8-ball or otherwise.

05-17-2002 16:37 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Shemp
unregistered

Not to ignore the almighty U.P.
but back on the original subject, Java-Man asked if we knew of any TST reference to the subject...
Doesn't Home Permanent on Vox Humana kinda touch on the subject?
Maybe it is more on the theme of tivializing God

"I gave a toy top to my little brother
It says to "Spin from sin"
And to my mother, I gave a recipe book
It's like no other
Now she makes chocolate Bibles -
A witness to my unsaved father
Aaah.........doot, doot..."

I have always been troubled with the use of God as a good luck charm, yet how often I am guilty of this very act.
05-17-2002 22:47
Crinklepot Crinklepot is a male
Dignified Lazar

Registration Date: 04-17-2002

"Prayer Wheel" is kinda along those lines, only in a
random prayer/goodluck charm kinda way..

...and as far as being blasphemous, I could see
the Jesus reference on the idiot-board might be the
kind of thing that might cause Jesus to turn your table
over and take a whip to ya...
05-17-2002 23:43 Crinklepot is offline Send an Email to Crinklepot Search for Posts by Crinklepot Add Crinklepot to your Buddy List
Shemp
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Crinklepot

"Crrrrack that whip... Whipit good!"
05-22-2002 08:00
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Shemp
Not to ignore the almighty U.P.
but back on the original subject, Java-Man asked if we knew of any TST reference to the subject...
Doesn't Home Permanent on Vox Humana kinda touch on the subject?
Maybe it is more on the theme of tivializing God

"I gave a toy top to my little brother
It says to "Spin from sin"
And to my mother, I gave a recipe book
It's like no other
Now she makes chocolate Bibles -
A witness to my unsaved father
Aaah.........doot, doot..."

I have always been troubled with the use of God as a good luck charm, yet how often I am guilty of this very act.

good point... I did not even think of that one, and I love that song Smile )

05-22-2002 10:57 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Shemp
quote:
Originally posted by Crinklepot

"Crrrrack that whip... Whipit good!"

I thought it was more about the buddhist prayer flags, which I think are VERY cool Pleased

05-22-2002 10:58 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » the Bible as Ouiji Board

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH