Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Illegal Stuff and Downloads » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (7): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Illegal Stuff and Downloads 6 Votes - Average Rating: 10.006 Votes - Average Rating: 10.006 Votes - Average Rating: 10.006 Votes - Average Rating: 10.006 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jiminy
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 11-16-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

when I bought them (LPs) they were a std $3.69

I had a lot of them with that price sticker on em (new- from the record department of a store called Shoppers City-it was a Zayres)

theres nothing to EVER put here that will please everyone-let alone anyone.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jiminy: 11-11-2008 10:40.

11-11-2008 10:39 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Some of my early memories of buying an album are still importat to me, I miss that feeling quite a bit actually. Going to a music store and picking something out, getting home and cracking the celophane. They even had that inky plasticy smell, putting the record on and looking over the artwork and reading who played what and all that. It was an experience. I remeber buying certain albums to this day, I have downloaded a few mp3's over the years and the experience doesn't stick with me in the same way. In fact, things that I have downloaded, I may not even have listened to it right away. They went in a folder, so I know I have them. (They were usually a download exclusive or something of that nature.)

11-11-2008 10:43 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
some stuff on itunes has included a PDF of the album art... with full lyrics and liner notes.... i have found that to be very cool......

maybe it's because i am too young (34) to have ever bought a lot of vinyl.... but the art isn't that big a deal to me..... heck.. .i was just glad that CDs had bigger print than cassettes..... and you didn't have to fold the cover 400 times to get it in the case....

i was a liner note junky... but i just want the info... post it on the website somewhere, and i'm happy...

yep. that's pretty much it. i find art and info very important, but the more CDs i acquire, the less likely I am to buy any more. gotta figure out what to do with them all. probably will go back and see if there's anything i wanna sell before too long to free up some space. may try that swaptree thing.

amazon MP3s are non-DRM (can make as many copies for yourself as you want), but are non-transferable (you can't sell to someone else per agreement). i suspect itunes is the same way. anyone know for sure?

if i had more time, i would scan any CD artwork that I really liked and just put all the CDs away somewhere.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
11-11-2008 10:47 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

everything i own is now digital.....

i've converted all my CDs, and a lot of newer stuff, i've never even bought the physical CD.....

the first thing i do when i buy a new CD now, is rip it to multiple hard drives and devices....

all my CDs are boxed in the back of a closet, and my small vinyl collection in on a top shelf, waiting for frames.....

by the way.......

i remember when CDs were still fairly new... dad said i shouldn't buy too many... they were likely a passing fad, like the 8-track Big Grin

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

11-11-2008 10:48 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Fan
quote:
some stuff on itunes has included a PDF of the album art... with full lyrics and liner notes.... i have found that to be very cool......

maybe it's because i am too young (34) to have ever bought a lot of vinyl.... but the art isn't that big a deal to me..... heck.. .i was just glad that CDs had bigger print than cassettes..... and you didn't have to fold the cover 400 times to get it in the case....

i was a liner note junky... but i just want the info... post it on the website somewhere, and i'm happy...

yep. that's pretty much it. i find art and info very important, but the more CDs i acquire, the less likely I am to buy any more. gotta figure out what to do with them all. probably will go back and see if there's anything i wanna sell before too long to free up some space. may try that swaptree thing.

amazon MP3s are non-DRM (can make as many copies for yourself as you want), but are non-transferable (you can't sell to someone else per agreement). i suspect itunes is the same way. anyone know for sure?

if i had more time, i would scan any CD artwork that I really liked and just put all the CDs away somewhere.

you don't even need to scan it... most of it is online......

iTunes automatically grabs the art for a lot of discs, and the one's it doesn't, i snag from where ever i see them in a google image search, and dump them in myself.

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

11-11-2008 10:49 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
Some of my early memories of buying an album are still importat to me, I miss that feeling quite a bit actually. Going to a music store and picking something out, getting home and cracking the celophane. They even had that inky plasticy smell, putting the record on and looking over the artwork and reading who played what and all that. It was an experience. I remeber buying certain albums to this day, I have downloaded a few mp3's over the years and the experience doesn't stick with me in the same way. In fact, things that I have downloaded, I may not even have listened to it right away. They went in a folder, so I know I have them. (They were usually a download exclusive or something of that nature.)

i really like the experience too, but it wears thin after awhile. i think cassettes were awesome over records because they sounded better and took longer to wear out. sometimes cassettes came with extra tracks you couldn't get on a record. and the print was small, but usually legible. i would take more music over more info in most cases.

waiting on a CD in the mail is kinda like waiting on a new release you anticipate coming from a store too.

download is the ultimate instant gratification. if only you could really own it and the artwork like a real CD.

who knows - that fresh ink and cellophane smell probably causes cancer or something anyways Tongue Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

11-11-2008 10:52 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Darn Floor and Fearful Symmetry were two of my first CDs. I bought a rather large clunky CD walkman witha 3 hour battery pack that had to be charged for 12 hours.

11-11-2008 10:52 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
quote:

iTunes automatically grabs the art for a lot of discs, and the one's it doesn't, i snag from where ever i see them in a google image search, and dump them in myself.

they have the complete art, not just the cover image? i really don't care that much about only having a cover image. i like the info inside much better than just the cover.

Got a few miles left ...

11-11-2008 10:54 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

they have the complete art, not just the cover image? i really don't care that much about only having a cover image. i like the info inside much better than just the cover.

well then, you should have to send the artist $2 and a S.A.S.E. Big Grin

no... it's usually just the cover... sorry i misunderstood. you did say "artwork" though, which sort of implies cover art...

you can sometimes find more, but it takes more digging.

11-11-2008 10:58 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

well then, you should have to send the artist $2 and a S.A.S.E. Big Grin

no... it's usually just the cover... sorry i misunderstood. you did say "artwork" though, which sort of implies cover art...

you can sometimes find more, but it takes more digging.

Big Grin

Got a few miles left ...

11-11-2008 11:11 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:

Yup. I love that feeling of buying an album. Pleased

11-13-2008 16:02 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Rich
Yup. I love that feeling of buying an album. Pleased

Been on vacation, doc?

It's been a week of many happy returns! Cool
11-13-2008 18:06 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
gowensby gowensby is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 03-25-2006

I've posted elsewhere, so forgive the redundancy, but I'm a completist. I bought the original cd release of DFBB back in the day. And I bought the new release.

I wish there was a way to purchase the bonus material, either as a cd or a download, without repurchasing the original material. I can't resist the bounus material! It's like buying Star Wars over and over again.

I would like to purchase items like the NewPax Alarma radio special. At one time I had the 45 single of Memory Lane and Real Girls. Both songs had intros by Terry. A compilation of Terry's explanations of songs from radio specials and singles would be incredible.
11-26-2008 22:32 gowensby is offline Homepage of gowensby Search for Posts by gowensby Add gowensby to your Buddy List
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

quote:
i think cassettes were awesome over records because they sounded better

Huh?! That's the first time I've heard anyone say that.
11-27-2008 10:06 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

I'm not a big fan of vinyl. But that's probably because of my (young) age. Cool

(Not a big fan of cassettes either)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ritchie_az: 11-27-2008 14:11.

11-27-2008 14:10 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

I would say that many times over. I've yet to hear a record I thought sounded better or lasted longer than a cassette.

Got a few miles left ...

11-27-2008 14:25 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

I would say that many times over. I've yet to hear a record I thought sounded better or lasted longer than a cassette.

as the absent dr. rich would say, "you need a new needle then!" Tongue Roll Eyes
before cds i did play cassettes more than records, but only because i my living room is not the main place a play music.....
cds sound better than mp3s...
but i still play mp3s more.... Cool

Cool
11-27-2008 19:26 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
George
Dignified Lazar

images/avatars/avatar-282.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2007

quote:
Darn Floor and Fearful Symmetry were two of my first CDs. I bought a rather large clunky CD walkman witha 3 hour battery pack that had to be charged for 12 hours.

Mine Too! Along with Ideola's Tribal Opera, The Joshua Tree, and I Predict 1990. Bought a cd boom box and those 5 discs.
11-27-2008 20:35 George is offline Search for Posts by George Add George to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122966038836021137.html?

Pleased

Cool
12-20-2008 13:39 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Pages (7): « first ... « previous 5 6 [7] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Illegal Stuff and Downloads

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH