Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Jevon the Tall unloads on LITTLE, big » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Jevon the Tall unloads on LITTLE, big 6 Votes - Average Rating: 7.006 Votes - Average Rating: 7.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dorfsmith
I don't care what Carl says, I want to hear everything that comes into Terry's mind Tongue

you can say that again! Tongue

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
07-14-2004 22:43 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by bereal
quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
I will admit that Derri sounds so good on MUtt- right? - I'm sure thats what you were thinking.....

That had to be what carl was thinking! Wink Wink Wink Wink
Tongue

Actually.... but for me, that's saying something right there....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
07-15-2004 08:49 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
carl carl is a male
Platyhelminth

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by audiori
A couple of thoughts, first on not liking the cheaper albums or EPs.... the guys cannot make expensive full albums if the funds are not there. The funds are not there if people don't buy. The new Eddies album comes to mind.

That's fair, I think. (Nice twisting of the Eddies knife yet again too, boys. Tongue )
But lemme ask this: Is it really that much cheaper to produce/distribute a bunch of EPs than it is to put out a full-length CD (which I would think is more likely to be purchased by the "non-real fans" Tongue )? I don't know; I'm just asking.

quote:
To the people that do buy and support, you are keeping the guys doing what they do. If you encourage others to buy... then you help the guys produce more expensive full albums. Then you and we get what we want.

Hey, I paid for 20% of the Essex Fells show (& brought 20% of the audience, most of whom were new fans and nearly all of whom purchased something & would've purchased even more if there'd been more copies of the Towel at the show Evil )....
(Just thought I'd shamelessly promote myself there. Hey, it's not easy being "dutch" AND a music fanatic. Big Grin )

quote:
As for Little Big and the solo albums vs. the DA albums and Dogs and Eddies. With DA, the themes are big metaphysical ideas and metaphores. With his solo albums the themes are geared toward Terry talking about his own life, friends and family. I like both, I think I appreciate the DA albums more having gotten to know Terry actually goes through life strugglesas expressed in his solo albums. To me they express his faith
in God even through the hard times, and even in the little day to day issues. The song "Fingerprints" on Buechners Dream actually touches on this theme in a more general less personal way. Talking about seeing God's fingerprints in and on lifes trials and blessings. You see it in the little
things, the still small voice. The solo albums are basically like letters from Terry.

I hear that. Actually, it's just a more erudite way of saying what I'd already said above. Again, all this comes down to personal preference, but it DOES point up some of the difficulties I've had with the music lately on a personal level.

quote:
Now, on to style.. Terry tends to adjust the style and his singing to the project he is working on. He has always done that, that variety is one of the things I have always liked. He has exposed me to styles that I otherwise would not accept. Outdoor Elvis is nothing like Little Big, they
both are nothing like Lost Dogs, all of those are nothing like Darn Floor... etc. If you don't like the style of a certain project that is fine, don't worry the next project (if history teaches us anything) will be completely different.

Little Big in particular, to me the style fits the themes Terry happened to be writting about in his "letter to family and friends" ....had he done those themes in some sort of Eddies weird music, it would not have worked. There is a time and place for that, but this is not the place. This pretty much had to be sacarine, sweet, simple music because the themes were such. That doesn't mean he will always do music like this.... he never has really repeated himself yet. The closest two maybe Knowledge & Innocense and Briefing For The Ascent.. but really they too are not exactly
the same.

Do we reall want Terry or DA putting out the same type of music over and over?

I assume you missed the several parts where I say I LIKED Lb, and that it was more a catalyst for finally "getting" a bunch of other things I'd been wrestling with lately.... Tongue

And truthfully, I'd been more edified by your presumably-way-more-informed take on "Mama's In the Desert, Daddy's in the Sky".... Red Face Tongue

That said, I get the "Terry's always changing" thing. And musically I wouldn't argue that (although Lb IS a breath of fresh if inconsistent air after the string of Real Men/Avocado Faultline/ACI&II/All Day Sing, even the way better but stylistically similar Nazarene Crying Towel. And now Mutt). Again, I think it's more the emphasis on the "little" in the artistic vision (which you can argue goes back to Songs of the Heart now) that bothers me more. And to be sure, the problem is on "me." (Isn't it always? Big Grin ) But here I am. And there you are. Cool

And now a word from our Producer. Take it....um.... "Big" Guy.... Big Grin ....

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 07-15-2004 11:07.

07-15-2004 09:13 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of carl: I already aimed at one.... YIM Account Name of carl: Yumpin' Yiminy (wait.... View the MSN Profile for carl
bereal bereal is a female
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-443.jpg

Registration Date: 03-08-2004
Location: "I still love Jesus, I'm just afraid of His followers." DwDunphy

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by carl
quote:
Originally posted by bereal
quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
I will admit that Derri sounds so good on MUtt- right? - I'm sure thats what you were thinking.....

That had to be what carl was thinking! Wink Wink Wink Wink
Tongue

Actually.... but for me, that's saying something right there....

Yup, that's saying something...

you secretly like Derri! Tongue Big Grin Wink

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently

Smile
07-15-2004 16:03 bereal is offline Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Pages (4): « first ... « previous 2 3 [4] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Jevon the Tall unloads on LITTLE, big

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH