Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Lost Dogs - The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Lost Dogs - The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees 22 Votes - Average Rating: 8.3622 Votes - Average Rating: 8.3622 Votes - Average Rating: 8.36
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That's a great write up. Thanks for posting it. I tried to find it on the CM website but no luck.

This is what I posted on another forum, sponsored by the journal Image, a high brow artsy phartsy place. This was in response to the question, "Tell us why you like these guys."

Hmmm...
Do I like these guys because -
they offer mature challenges to our vari-colored American churchianity?
they kick booty when they go into garage band mode?
they make me laugh, clap and sing?
they do not try to turn a band gig into a worship experience?
they are unassuming when that means something?
they neither insult my intelligence nor my Lord?
...Sure

Do I like these guys because I used to play and sing with Terry Taylor in one of his pre-Daniel Amos incarnations?
...Yup

My grown daughter (who was careful to maintain a certain spacing between us as we sat through the concert - which I trespassed every now and then just for fun) remarked, "You're the only one in the audience who sang all the way through Ain't Gonna Fight It."

Purely an objective assessment I assure you.

Psalm 119:83
03-26-2007 21:30 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
jyroflux jyroflux is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-597.jpg

Registration Date: 02-23-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Broken Like Brooklyn.

I'm in love with this song. I love Terry's slightly raspy voice as he sings the first words. Then that familiar, yet better than ever, Dogs sound kicks in. I swoon. The lyrics as always are amazing. I love how Terry, Mike and Derri's voices punctuate the lyrics in just the right way - as if the lines they sing were written with each of them in mind.

Hardening My Heart.

Floors me every time. Sung perfectly by Mike. He should get an Oscar or something. Wonderfully understated and impeccable phrasing. And of course the Oscar for best screenplay would go to Terry. Can the guy tell a story or what?

That's all I can manage at the moment. These two songs alone are better than 99.9999% of the songs the general public listens to.

04-14-2007 00:53 jyroflux is offline Send an Email to jyroflux Search for Posts by jyroflux Add jyroflux to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-357.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

The general public is overrated.

04-14-2007 11:03 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
colorblind colorblind is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-05-2008

I just gave this CD its first real spin today, and my jaw almost hit the floor.
This is easily twice as good as I was hoping it would be.
I love that Mike's vocals are more present...and Hindie is a great addition.

More than anything though...I think that this might be Taylor's sharpest album lyrically. It cuts to the bone. Sometimes uncomfortable, sometimes witty, and always gorgeous.

The artwork is also fantastic.

07-30-2008 13:45 colorblind is offline Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
jon eddies jon eddies is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 10-29-2007

Lost cabin & Mystery Trees Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think this stands up to any of the Dog's best albums. I too love Broken Like Brooklyn. I plan on listening to that tonight at Midnight when I leave for our family vacation. It may be the ultimate middle of the night start of a road trip tune!

The rest of the album is great too. It has all of the elements of a great LD album, but by now they seem to have perfected their "sound". It is almost a companion or sister CD to Avacado Falutline.

Some of Terry's best lyrric here too.
08-03-2008 16:02 jon eddies is offline Send an Email to jon eddies Search for Posts by jon eddies Add jon eddies to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

i knew you wanted to know more about the Lost Cabin gold story...
here's one link, Jacksonville, OR is just nro th of Yreka, CA

http://www.drizzle.com/~rdpayne/smithbros/1850.htm

10-20-2008 23:36 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Absolutely GREAT album!

Of all the Dogs albums I own (Gift Horses and everything thereafter), this one is easily their best. That's saying a lot, because I really love NCT and Island Dreams.

07-22-2009 21:31 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
UnderDawg UnderDawg is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-624.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

You know, I always thought that Gift Horse was my favorite Dogs album, but this one just keeps getting better. I may have a new favorite at this rate!
07-22-2009 22:14 UnderDawg is offline Search for Posts by UnderDawg Add UnderDawg to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

Only One Bum In Corona Del Mar might be my favorite Lost Dogs song. My wife doesn't care much for it, though.
My 20-month-old daughter's favorite song on the album is Devil's Elbow, which she loves (that, and SE's Giants in the Land, are probably her two favorite songs right now).

07-22-2009 22:48 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

richie-mahn - i don't think wives understand the corona del mar bum.
guys understand... there's a little bum underneath every one of us

no, no, i meant there's a little bum inside of everyone us waiting to come out and pee on the old lady's roses or her chichuahua; not shave, not bathe, be as offensive as grandma's ol' yeller hog and revel in the disgust.

meanwhile we must know how your 20 month old indicates her favorite songs... really, we gotta know

07-22-2009 23:10 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

"meanwhile we must know how your 20 month old indicates her favorite songs... really, we gotta know"

Well, she gets all excited. It usually starts with an "Ahhh!" If she's sitting she'll kick her legs and if she's standing she'll "dance" (either by moving in circles--Let's Spin comes to mind--or by jumping up and down). She usually throws in a few claps and sometimes head-bangs.

It's pretty easy to tell when she likes a particular song.

07-23-2009 01:02 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
dumku
unregistered

10-05-2010 05:26
Ceremonial Kernel

Sadly, my daughter's taste in music has been changing. Now, if it's not pop hits, it's "Daddy, I don't like this song." She does like Keaggy/Stonehill Who's Your Driver (to which she'll say "Mommy!" or "Daddy!"... depending on who is driving....).

My 12 month old son seems to like DA, though, so we'll see....

10-05-2010 17:21 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:
Originally posted by Ritchie_az
My 12 month old son seems to like DA, though, so we'll see....

Big Grin thats funny, my 7 year old daughter likes Crumbächer.

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by pegotico: 10-05-2010 18:31.

10-05-2010 18:30 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

hey my 2.5 yr old grand-daughter was playing at the piano with me a few weeks back... i started playing and singing "twinkle, twinkle... ", you know the led zeppelin version, and she started singing and playing with her head tipped back, her eyes closed and her head wagging from side to side... i thought she was channeling ray charles or stevie wonder there for a moment... little korean-american girl looking a like a soul legend... it was a hoot!

10-05-2010 23:15 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
wayneb wayneb is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 04-24-2002

I have been playing "Midget" a whole lot in the car today, and as I was singing I heard my 8 year old from the back singing "....give it a yank!"

www.smashthatcomputer.com
10-06-2010 03:02 wayneb is online Send an Email to wayneb Homepage of wayneb Search for Posts by wayneb Add wayneb to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by wayneb
I have been playing "Midget" a whole lot in the car today, and as I was singing I heard my 8 year old from the back singing "....give it a yank!"

Tongue

i've told this story before here, but it's been a while...
when my 11 year old son was 2 he was singing along to darn floor, big bite and started almost screaming "big bite, big bite!" Happy
that made me very happy...
until......i took him out of his car seat and he bit me... Frown

Cool
10-06-2010 11:03 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
pegotico pegotico is a male
Luteous Llama

images/avatars/avatar-635.jpg

Registration Date: 10-23-2009

quote:
Originally posted by joey
quote:
Originally posted by wayneb

Tongue

i've told this story before here, but it's been a while...
when my 11 year old son was 2 he was singing along to darn floor, big bite and started almost screaming "big bite, big bite!" Happy
that made me very happy...
until......i took him out of his car seat and he bit me... Frown

she definitely took the big bite very seriously Big Grin

"Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me ... I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything that can approach the gospel." Napoleon Bonaparte
10-11-2010 14:14 pegotico is offline Search for Posts by pegotico Add pegotico to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

audiori-san, -sans, -dudes

i'd like to get a copy of Lost Cabin for my brother but it is outofstock.

any chance it will be instock in the future?

everybody else who wannabuymo2 speak up

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by sondance: 05-28-2011 17:48.

05-28-2011 17:47 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by sondance
i'd like to get a copy of Lost Cabin for my brother but it is outofstock.

bought a "new" one on Ebay for $17.
hope it is the real deal.

05-30-2011 17:41 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Lost Dogs - The Lost Cabin And The Mystery Trees

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH