Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Sincere appreciation » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Sincere appreciation
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Gabriel Syme Gabriel Syme is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-135.gif

Registration Date: 01-31-2003

Thumb Up! Sincere appreciation Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was listening to one of my playlists at work when "A Sigh for You" came up. I remember how much I played the Fearful Symmetry album in college. But it just this morning dawned on me the way in which that album differed from everything else. It is the way in which Daniel Amos music and Terry Taylor's words really differ from everything else in my experience. They can be cynical and satirical with the best of them, but what sets them apart is the ability to be sincere about the life of faith.

So much of the music when I was in college was either morose and alienated, or it was so upbeat as bear no relationship to my own experiences. Or it was simply impressed with its own cleverness, which is its own type of alienation. Fearful Symmetry came along at the right time as something completely different from what was being pumped out of a thousand speakers around campus.

How many other bands can release an album with the likes of "Neverland Ballroom" and "Instruction through Film" on it & also include "A Sigh for You" and "When the Moonlight Sleeps"? And how many can be sincere without constantly veering into sappiness or producing a song seeming to consist entirely of phrases from Psalms spliced together? How many could produce "Shadow Catcher" at all?

There are a few, but not nearly enough. It's usually either "painted all black" or rose-colored. So while Daniel Amos may often be noted for their cleverness and sharp wit, here is a small tribute to their sincerity.
07-06-2006 09:39 Gabriel Syme is offline Search for Posts by Gabriel Syme Add Gabriel Syme to your Buddy List
.backs.
Tallowy Tamale

Registration Date: 03-13-2003
Location: "An autoposy will make him into a dorf-o-lantern on the Mesaage Boards ."

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

great post

very true

07-06-2006 10:22 .backs. is offline Send an Email to .backs. Search for Posts by .backs. Add .backs. to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I hope they consider doing a reissue/tribute of DFBB next, in part to help raise funds to get the others out faster.

I really would like to see the reissue of Fearful Symmetry because to my knowledge there isn't a good alternative for legally getting most of the music on that album. Used prices are very high for all media types, if you can find it in the first place. Crying

CDs like $60-$80+ and Alarma Chronicles Booksets going over $100.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mountain Fan: 07-06-2006 10:54.

07-06-2006 10:52 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Sincere appreciation

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH