Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Vinyl Thoughts » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Vinyl Thoughts 2 Votes - Average Rating: 5.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
freak freak is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-270.jpg

Registration Date: 11-13-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I voice my approval again... again I say - I will buy it!

~f

dit, dit, doo
09-19-2005 10:03 freak is offline Send an Email to freak Homepage of freak Search for Posts by freak Add freak to your Buddy List
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The only way I would buy it is if there was some cool artwork, stories, extra tunes, etc. that was not available on the CD or DVD.

Besides, I really need to see the Alarma Chronicles bookset reissued first. Crying

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
09-19-2005 11:27 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
freak freak is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-270.jpg

Registration Date: 11-13-2003

quote:
Originally posted by freak
I voice my approval again... again I say - I will buy it!

~f

dit, dit, doo
09-19-2005 11:52 freak is offline Send an Email to freak Homepage of freak Search for Posts by freak Add freak to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-505.jpg

Registration Date: 08-25-2003

quote:
Originally posted by jeffrey k.
quote:
Originally posted by larryl
check with travis at republic of texas recordings www.republicoftexasrecordings.com

he is getting some great deals, from what he told me a while back. (and putting out some vinyl cool enough that even i am buying it)

He's using United Record Pressing. It's good to see they have their act together now. A year ago they were at the top of a short list of people I initially wanted to use, but they never returned calls, never came through with price quotes on the pressing I wanted, and I was warned by a couple other friends at labels to not use them because they never stuck to their pricing or quotes. From the looks of things on their site, they must have got it together, their prices alone are way less than before....

jeffrey k.

that's right...i talked to him about it earlier this year, just couldn't remember the name...

i know he has been very happy with them

2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."

09-19-2005 12:49 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

We will have to do some price checking, for MBD, the main concern I would have is the artwork/packaging cost. I can imagine it being high. If we were to look into doing this, I am sure it would be a limited thing. Most likely no new material on it unless Terry wanted to do something like that. It would give space for more text and artwork though.

We will peruse prices and see whats in the horribly strained DA account, and see what Terry and Dan says. But right now our primary concern is the Jubals/DA CD, Terry is sending some notes about what he wants changed then maybe we can have that one on the shelf.

09-19-2005 15:10 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-467.jpg

Registration Date: 09-20-2005

Mbd-no! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Songs of the Heart is what I would purchase in a heartbeat! This album begs to be put on 180g vinyl. I'll buy 2 right now.

...and as long as your making them, I want the 77's Sticks & Stones , Mark Heard's Second Hand , Michael Been's On the Verge of a Nervous Breakthrough , LSU's This is the Healing , the Dog's Little Red Riding Hood , and Iona's Book of Kells on 180g vinyl gatefold!

ps. Songs of the Heart > MBD

09-20-2005 21:12 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
rrabauke
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 09-21-2005

What about a coop with these fine lads?

Republic of Texas Recordings

C.
09-21-2005 07:17 rrabauke is offline Search for Posts by rrabauke Add rrabauke to your Buddy List
midfielddynamite midfielddynamite is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 09-25-2004

Vinyl Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I still buy everything I can on vinyl.. and am disappointed to have to buy CD when no vinyl available.. so I would be very keen to have recent DA stuff available on vinyl.. I have all the old stuff up to Darn Floor and Terry's solo albums on vinyl.
Something about when that needle hits the groove..
10-10-2005 15:04 midfielddynamite is offline Send an Email to midfielddynamite Search for Posts by midfielddynamite Add midfielddynamite to your Buddy List
MefLiszto MefLiszto is a male
Unsullied Affiche

Registration Date: 01-11-2004

As fond as I am of vinyl, what I would really love is more big art. I really miss albums with multi-page inserts. I have Stonehill's Welcome To Paradise on vinyl and CD, and the CD insert doesn't remotely compare to that big newspaper-type insert in the LP. I even have Xerox copies of the inserts from Larry Norman's trilogy LPs, and I like to take them out and read them on occasion, even without playing the music. The inserts in the CD versions seem puny by comparison.
10-11-2005 22:50 MefLiszto is offline Send an Email to MefLiszto Search for Posts by MefLiszto Add MefLiszto to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of MefLiszto: MefLiszto YIM Account Name of MefLiszto: FedykRulez
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

quote:
Originally posted by MefLiszto
and I like to take them out and read them on occasion, even without playing the music.

me too
those three and all of the old Heard albums
10-11-2005 23:55 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i have been known to use vinyl records as frisbees.....

Cool
10-12-2005 12:38 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
dorfsmith dorfsmith is a male
Grand Encephalon

images/avatars/avatar-397.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2002

quote:
Originally posted by baxter
quote:
and I like to take them out and read them on occasion, even without playing the music.

me too
those three and all of the old Heard albums

The Heard albums contained a books worth of writing Tongue

10-12-2005 14:01 dorfsmith is offline Send an Email to dorfsmith Search for Posts by dorfsmith Add dorfsmith to your Buddy List
DwDunphy DwDunphy is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 08-18-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by DwDunphy
Sequencing Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

For me, some of what really makes records work over CDs are the internal construction. Take "Dark Side Of The Moon" for instance. "The Great Gig In The Sky" ends side one. "Money" begins side two. Tonally, "Gig" is absolutely an ending, going from all the sturm und drang down to just the piano and voice, almost down into whispers and moans.

"Money" is in every way a kickoff point, from the cash register clang-a-long to that famous, meaty bass line. Now, on CD, you suddenly have these two ends run together and the construction is far different. It's like a little death in the middle of the proceedings, and "Money" doesn't quite have that same mule kick when it goes directly in.

The same can be said for "Abbey Road" with the experiment of lancing together songs as suites. Sure, on CD it comes off as a grandiose capper for the recording (with "Her Majesty" as just an odd little stab at deflation) but on record, grouping the experiments between side one and side two provides a logic and purpose that, again, a 45 to 50 minute flat runthrough just does not do justice.

It's basically then my highest praise to say that most of the DA cds feel, to me, more suited to vinyl. I suppose it is me separating them out of this modernity and claiming that Terry's sense of sequencing is much more "classic rock" oriented, but in the best sense of it.

DwD
10-12-2005 21:38 DwDunphy is offline Send an Email to DwDunphy Homepage of DwDunphy Search for Posts by DwDunphy Add DwDunphy to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of DwDunphy: dunphyetc
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

quote:
As fond as I am of vinyl, what I would really love is more big art. I really miss albums with multi-page inserts. I have Stonehill's Welcome To Paradise on vinyl and CD, and the CD insert doesn't remotely compare to that big newspaper-type insert in the LP. I even have Xerox copies of the inserts from Larry Norman's trilogy LPs, and I like to take them out and read them on occasion, even without playing the music. The inserts in the CD versions seem puny by comparison.

Well, I love "gettin' in the groove" as long as it don't involve needles! Tongue Big Grin

Why can't they simply add some extra stuff at the end of the CDs that is accessible by computer? You can print your own PDF files. If people wanted fancy glossy stuff they could size the files so you could order prints online or something.

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
10-13-2005 11:43 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

Smile A 180gram gatefold must have: Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

mucho wonderful

10-16-2005 19:06 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
Woolly Eggwhisk

...und eine vinylschnitzel: Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

very moody on the Crosley.

10-16-2005 19:13 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
Matt K Matt K is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 05-03-2002

WOAH...... gotsta get both of those on vinyl!!
10-17-2005 10:23 Matt K is offline Send an Email to Matt K Homepage of Matt K Search for Posts by Matt K Add Matt K to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Matt K: xxthundrrblt67xx YIM Account Name of Matt K: scrapbrain_409
Woolly Eggwhisk

Recent purchase: Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Van's awesome limited edition '91 double-lp.

On Hynford Street is a classic! If you haven't heard it, give it a try.

11-04-2005 09:49 Chesterdox is offline Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Vinyl Thoughts

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH