Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » It Arrived! It Arrived! » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page It Arrived! It Arrived!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Scrimshaw Nick Scrimshaw Nick is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-387.jpg

Registration Date: 03-13-2002
Location: "Bad news, Mom. I promised my soul to the devil this afternoon." "Oh? That recently?" ~ Calvin and Hobbes

It Arrived! It Arrived! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just got WEWH! It's as good as I hoped. Woo-Hoo! Big Grin

Somebody cured my political apathy but I'm not allowed to say who it is in a signature on the Message Boards
06-18-2002 11:09 Scrimshaw Nick is offline Send an Email to Scrimshaw Nick Search for Posts by Scrimshaw Nick Add Scrimshaw Nick to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Scrimshaw Nick: piratescrimshaw
John Foxe John Foxe is a male
Woolly Eggwhisk

images/avatars/avatar-645.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

Ditto! Let's Spin! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just received mine today.

So far, so great. I'm spinning #2. This is a real jewel with many facets just waiting to shine.

06-18-2002 16:54 John Foxe is offline Send an Email to John Foxe Search for Posts by John Foxe Add John Foxe to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of John Foxe: yikes... amateurs online?
John Galt
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 06-01-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I like how the cds are attatched to the book itself. The Alarma book sits on my bookshelf and the plastic sleeves are three different entities on my cd holder.

So far I have only listened to disk 2.

I like the newly reimagined songs.
I happen to be a huge fan of the original as well. The new versions are dramatically different and very good.

Disk three is for tomorrow
06-19-2002 00:55 John Galt is offline Send an Email to John Galt Search for Posts by John Galt Add John Galt to your Buddy List
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

haven't got mine yet, of course...

but since I came at the 11th hour, I would think it a bit wierd if I got mine same time as all you guys that REALLY pre-ordered.

~Gus

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

06-19-2002 08:55 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Author of the Post Author of the Post is a male
A Hot Wolly

Registration Date: 03-14-2002
Location: If you want to follow in someone's footsteps, first you need to learn where they've walked.

I got mine too. Getting the CDs out was a real challenge. It took a razor blade and a very steady hand. When you're a die-hard DA fan desperate to hear anything new from DA, you shouldn't be holding a razor blade and trying to do minor surgery on plastic.

I was expecting the book to be more like the Alarma Bookset--very sturdy. I'd have also liked a track listing for the discs.

I think disk two will have to grow on me. I really like being able to understand the lyrics for once. I've been singing some of these songs wrong for years! (Yes, I'm too lazy to look at the lyric sheets.) On disk 2 I most love the instrumental. But it drives me nuts because I'm certaint that I have heard it before (in a movie, as incidental music for something.) Has anyone heard this instrumental before? Of the new versions, the ones that I really like ar "Sins of the Father" (it's so much more personal and sentimental) and, of course, "When Everyone Wore Hats." This song is a classic and the new version is just so stripped down and simple that it brings out a new beauty (the piano really stands out without being overstated.)

For me, the real gem is disc 3. I love the sentimentality of Terry reading the story and tracks #2 and #6 are great new songs (especially #2.) And the acoustic version of "Turn this off" is amazing--it gives it such a new twist. The interview at the end of the disc was very insightful. I liked getting a current perspective on WEWH.

When I get a chance, I plan to sit down and read the story of Bud and Irma. I love the pictures. It does give it a retro feel.

Well, that's my 2 cents on the bookset.

-- The Author of the Post

06-19-2002 09:09 Author of the Post is offline Send an Email to Author of the Post Homepage of Author of the Post Search for Posts by Author of the Post Add Author of the Post to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Author of the Post: JosepBCN28 View the MSN Profile for Author of the Post
Tyler Durden Tyler Durden is a male
Luteous Llama

Registration Date: 04-11-2002
Location: Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is a spiritual war.

The liner notes are great with this book. It causes me to wish that the entire catalogue could get the same treatment. All 400 songs. Now that would be a great third book to add to the set.

I have always enjoyed and understood this album. I apprieciate the fact that Terry and the gang took the time to flesh out the story and add a twist on the original and to throw in a couple more relavent tunes.

Thank You Terry, Daniel Amos, Gene Eugene, Townsends and the rest.

This is a great gift.
06-19-2002 15:12 Tyler Durden is offline Send an Email to Tyler Durden Search for Posts by Tyler Durden Add Tyler Durden to your Buddy List
Lost Canine Lost Canine is a male
Disjasked Lerna

Everytime I read the title of this post I want to sing it to the tune of Don Francisco's He's Alive .
LK-9

06-19-2002 15:38 Lost Canine is offline Send an Email to Lost Canine Search for Posts by Lost Canine Add Lost Canine to your Buddy List
Dr. Sticky Dr. Sticky is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 03-14-2002

AotP---the instrumental track is by Erik Satie's Gymnopédies #3. He was a 20th century composer and that work has been featured in COUNTLESS movies. Very much worth checking out.

http://www.jazclass.aust.com/satie.htm
06-19-2002 17:13 Dr. Sticky is offline Send an Email to Dr. Sticky Homepage of Dr. Sticky Search for Posts by Dr. Sticky Add Dr. Sticky to your Buddy List
Kaf-N-8ed Kaf-N-8ed is a male
Luteous Llama

quote:
Originally posted by Scrimshaw Nick
I just got WEWH! It's as good as I hoped. Woo-Hoo! Big Grin

Yahoo! Yup, I got mine too. Great stuff - what I've heard so far.

Can't wait to listen to the whole thing.

Cheers!

Gus

My beard is parted into three,
For the Holy Trinity!

~ Gustav BenJava
http://www.benjava.com

06-20-2002 08:35 Kaf-N-8ed is offline Send an Email to Kaf-N-8ed Homepage of Kaf-N-8ed Search for Posts by Kaf-N-8ed Add Kaf-N-8ed to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava YIM Account Name of Kaf-N-8ed: gusbenjava
Atarah Atarah is a female
Dark Steamy Cabbage

a minor complaint..... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

got my MEWH... yeah! yummy, yummy, yummy!!!
extry special for me, since I never purchased the original Songs disc.... on disc 2 (WEWH),I like how "can't keep my eyes off of you" is used as a "song on the radio" while bud and irma are driving along in the RV (at least that's my interpretation of 'eyes'). very nice.

wewh (the song) just makes me want to cry....puts me in a melancholy sort of mood....wonderful!!!!! (not that I like wanting to cry, but wonderful that Terry's music moves me).

my only (small) complaint has to do with this comment:
quote:
Originally posted by Author of the Post
For me, the real gem is disc 3. I love the sentimentality of Terry reading the story and tracks #2 and #6 are great new songs (especially #2.)

how's about a track listing? no listing for disc 2 or 3, leading to the question about the origin of the instrumental on disc 2, and referring to tracks 2 on 6 on disc 3 as tracks 2 and 6 and not my their names.....

can anybody in the know help us fans out on this????

06-20-2002 13:03 Atarah is offline Send an Email to Atarah Search for Posts by Atarah Add Atarah to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

yeah, what she said

06-20-2002 13:14 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Klaymen77
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 06-18-2002

WEWH track listing Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Folks,

The Townsends gave us the track listing already on this messageboard several weeks ago. Here it is again:

"When Everyone Wore Hats"

Disc One: "Songs of the Heart"
1. Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You
2. The Glory Road
3. Get Into The Bus, Aloha
4. Evangeline
5. Uneasy Lies The Head Of The Confidence Man
6. The Organ Bar
7. Donna Nietche And Her Super Race Of
Kick Boxing Uber Parrots
8. Our Night To Howl, Time To Go Dancing
9. Sins Of The Fathers
10. Turn This Off
11. Loveland
12. When Everyone Wore Hats
13. My Hand To God

Disc Two: "Songs of the Heart" (New Acoustic Arrangements)
1. Donna Nietche And Her Super Race Of
Kick Boxing Uber Parrots
2. (Instrumental)
3. The Glory Road
4. Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You /
Get Into The Bus, Aloha
5. Evangeline
6. Uneasy Lies The Head Of The Confidence Man
7. The Organ Bar
8. Our Night To Howl, Time To Go Dancing
9. Sins Of The Fathers
10. Loveland
11. When Everyone Wore Hats
12. My Hand To God
13. The Glory Road, Pt 2

Disc Three: "The Story of Bud & Irma"
1. Part One
2. Your Hidden Hand (NEW)
3. Part Two
4. Turn This Off (New Acoustic Version)
5. Part Three
6. The Devil's Elbow (NEW)
7. Interview

06-20-2002 17:36 Klaymen77 is offline Send an Email to Klaymen77 Search for Posts by Klaymen77 Add Klaymen77 to your Buddy List
BigDork
Disjasked Lerna

images/avatars/avatar-643.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Klaymen77
Folks,

The Townsends gave us the track listing already on this messageboard several weeks ago. Here it is again:

yeah, but we can't be expected to read every post!

Wink

Thanks, I knew I saw it somewhere.
BD

06-20-2002 18:08 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » It Arrived! It Arrived!

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH