Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Hey Tim... » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Hey Tim...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Normal As The Next Guy
Dignified Lazar

Registration Date: 02-18-2003

Hey Tim... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

What do you think is Terrry's most ingenius lyric, or at least a lyric you like the most?

Or do you just pay attention to all that thumping in the background? Wink
Norm

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Normal As The Next Guy: 11-07-2003 14:55.

11-07-2003 14:54 Normal As The Next Guy is offline Send an Email to Normal As The Next Guy Search for Posts by Normal As The Next Guy Add Normal As The Next Guy to your Buddy List
Normal As The Next Guy
Dignified Lazar

Thread Starter Thread Started by Normal As The Next Guy
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

bumpin' this thread to the top, so that you can see it, Tim.
11-07-2003 22:42 Normal As The Next Guy is offline Send an Email to Normal As The Next Guy Search for Posts by Normal As The Next Guy Add Normal As The Next Guy to your Buddy List
tchandler tchandler is a male
Daniel Amos

Registration Date: 03-22-2002

thumping Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

hey, norm--

i mostly just pay attention to all that thumping in the background!

actually it would be nearly impossible for me to pick out just one lyric.

one thing that still amazes me about him is his ability to join the perfect feeling between lyric and musical intent.

his solo records are always more of a surprise to me because i'm pretty much only involved (if at all) in just playing on them when i come in -- not songwriting, or anything else.

two of the tracks, that to me, have a perfect marriage of music and lyric are "boomtown" and "chicken crosses the road."

there are too many to name!
11-07-2003 22:43 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
HEMISPHERICALHEADS HEMISPHERICALHEADS is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-07-2003

RE: thumping Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by tchandler
hey, norm--

two of the tracks, that to me, have a perfect marriage of music and lyric are "boomtown" and "chicken crosses the road."

Chicken is one that hits me too..... That was my first TST solo project I ever heard, my kids really dig the whistling on "Ten Gallon Hat"
"C'mon Dad , play that again.." Big Grin
11-07-2003 22:48 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
Normal As The Next Guy
Dignified Lazar

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm going to give those two songs a good listen tonight, on the ol' JW disc, to see what you mean.

Here is another qeustion i've been meaning to ask you for a while:

With some of the greatest albums made, sometimes the artist will say that they didn't realize how good it was while they were making it. For instance, when Dylan took the Garammy for "Time Out of Mind", he mentioned something like (major paraphrase) "We didn't really realize what we had with this project when we were making it."

Is there a project, with Terry, that you've worked on, where you really didn't realize just how good the project was until after it was released, or maybe even until after some time later?
Norm
11-07-2003 22:51 Normal As The Next Guy is offline Send an Email to Normal As The Next Guy Search for Posts by Normal As The Next Guy Add Normal As The Next Guy to your Buddy List
Normal As The Next Guy
Dignified Lazar

RE: thumping Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by HEMISPHERICALHEADS
quote:
hey, norm--

Chicken is one that hits me too..... That was my first TST solo project I ever heard, my kids really dig the whistling on "Ten Gallon Hat"
"C'mon Dad , play that again.." Big Grin

My kids dig TGH too, as do I.
11-07-2003 23:00 Normal As The Next Guy is offline Send an Email to Normal As The Next Guy Search for Posts by Normal As The Next Guy Add Normal As The Next Guy to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

HEMI--ok, since you brought that back up -- "chicken,"-- and i have no idea if anyone else had this reaction, or maybe will just think i'm nuts,-- had such an impact on me when i first heard it in it's completed form.

(obviously, when you're recording, you hear things in bits and pieces, no matter if you're the producer or whomever, until it's really finally put together.)

(after playing on it, i heard the final product, quite a while later, in a hotel room at cornerstone with terry.)

when i heard the final song, it nearly made me cry -- something that i can't even really articulate, about terry's capture of the nature of the possible extent of the love of Christ?

i played on it, i talked to terry about it, and i'm still not exactly sure, but something about it really moves me.
11-07-2003 23:10 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Normal As The Next Guy
Dignified Lazar

Now I can't wait to go upstairs and hear that one! One last question along the same lines:

Many people here have the same analysis of the Darn Floor Big Bite album, which is, that it sounds weird at first, but then it just kind of grows on you, and then one day you're saying "this thing is a masterpiece!"

So, my question is, what was your feeling when making the DFBB album, compared to your feeling when soaking in the finished prodcut? Did you realize what a great work was being made at the time?

Everything seems to fall together so magically on DFBB. Wouldn't you agree?
Norm

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Normal As The Next Guy: 11-07-2003 23:20.

11-07-2003 23:17 Normal As The Next Guy is offline Send an Email to Normal As The Next Guy Search for Posts by Normal As The Next Guy Add Normal As The Next Guy to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
HEMI--ok, since you brought that back up -- "chicken,"-- and i have no idea if anyone else had this reaction, or maybe will just think i'm nuts,-- had such an impact on me when i first heard it in it's completed form.

(obviously, when you're recording, you hear things in bits and pieces, no matter if you're the producer or whomever, until it's really finally put together.)

(after playing on it, i heard the final product, quite a while later, in a hotel room at cornerstone with terry.)

when i heard the final song, it nearly made me cry -- something that i can't even really articulate, about terry's capture of the nature of the possible extent of the love of Christ?

i played on it, i talked to terry about it, and i'm still not exactly sure, but something about it really moves me.

I hear you man.
With me I was just introduced to TST solo stuff and I spent an evening in my living room with "John Wayne" and the words while listening to every track. I replayed "Chicken" I don't know how many times...
A while later I made a CD with artists whom I deem "Less than Mainstream" for my own personal "Quiet times" and that song was included , along with others from the likes of Mike Roe (Ache Beautiful) , Prayer Chain (Sky High) ,The Choir (Merciful Eyes) and others. Songs that can actually make me shed a tear they are so powerful...
11-07-2003 23:22 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

norm-- all i can tell you is that it's a passionate blur when the recording is going by, no matter what record. you don't really know anything until you put the (record/cassette/cd) in. who knows. the entire thing is still mysterious to me to this day.
11-07-2003 23:27 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
norm-- all i can tell you is that it's a passionate blur when the recording is going by, no matter what record. you don't really know anything until you put the (record/cassette/cd) in. who knows. the entire thing is still mysterious to me to this day.

I can relate with that....That where the "Artist" factor comes in....
11-07-2003 23:30 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

HEMI-- i hear ya back! i'm with ya!
11-07-2003 23:31 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Daniel Amos

freinds

gotta sign off

talk soon
11-07-2003 23:37 tchandler is offline Send an Email to tchandler Search for Posts by tchandler Add tchandler to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
Originally posted by Normal As The Next Guy
Now I can't wait to go upstairs and hear that one! One last question along the same lines:

Many people here have the same analysis of the Darn Floor Big Bite album, which is, that it sounds weird at first, but then it just kind of grows on you, and then one day you're saying "this thing is a masterpiece!"

So, my question is, what was your feeling when making the DFBB album, compared to your feeling when soaking in the finished prodcut? Did you realize what a great work was being made at the time?

Everything seems to fall together so magically on DFBB. Wouldn't you agree?
Norm

Unfortunatly that is the one disc I don't have..I just have about 8 songs I got from other sources...Can't wait 'till that one see's the light of day as a "Real" release......complete with bonus tracks..
11-07-2003 23:38 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
freinds

gotta sign off

talk soon

Take care TC..... Cool
11-07-2003 23:39 HEMISPHERICALHEADS is offline Send an Email to HEMISPHERICALHEADS Homepage of HEMISPHERICALHEADS Search for Posts by HEMISPHERICALHEADS Add HEMISPHERICALHEADS to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Thumb Up! RE: thumping Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

I love them tunes! Pleased

11-10-2003 08:07 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Hey Tim...

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH