Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Thank God for Spotify » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Thank God for Spotify
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

Thank God for Spotify Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just listened to When World's Collide. Now I finally know that I can't rest comfortably not having bought it earlier. With the exception of a few songs, I'll probably never play it again.

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
10-21-2011 14:49 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
PuP

images/avatars/avatar-657.gif

Registration Date: 07-09-2003
Location: The DAmb Home for Wayward Sons and Fragile Daughters

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I echo the sentiment regarding Spotify although I still need to listen to WWC myself.

Guess I know what I'm listening to later...

10-21-2011 19:29 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
baxter baxter is a male
Ubique Epoque

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

This morning, a friend prompted me to use Spokify. I didn't know what she was talking about. Now this. I think I had better get up to speed.
10-21-2011 19:33 baxter is offline Send an Email to baxter Homepage of baxter Search for Posts by baxter Add baxter to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of baxter: NA YIM Account Name of baxter: NA
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

So you now know you can't rest since you didn't buy it earlier? But then you say you'd never play it again.. seems like a contradiction. You liked it or not?

That release was the most irritating project I have ever worked on.

10-21-2011 20:01 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
PuP

You have me really curious now. What made it so irritating?

10-22-2011 06:46 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
Administrator

Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

First, dealing with that many different artist temperaments. Waiting on people that said they would record or wanted to, and in some cases never getting the recordings. Having to drive to South Carolina to master it. In the studio where we had it mastered their cat kept biting me. While we were there the guys that were supposed to master it while we were there just listened to it and worked on some stupid commercials, pretty much wasting our time. Driving home with it still not finished, having those guys call and try and pick the track order. We wanted it out by cornerstone and those guys held it and had it shipped to them instead. We ended up having to call them and have them overnight a few to cornerstone which cut into the money quite a bit. Then when they shipped us the rest of the CDs, They fedexed them and tried to stick us with the bill, which ended up being like $700. I had to call them and tell them I wasn't paying it, it was their mistake having it shipped to them, they should pay it. I already had paid to have it shipped to me when I paid the manufacturing costs. We actually got nasty emails from some artists who either recorded something that didn't fit on the release, or they recorded a song that was already taken, or they recorded one of their own original songs.. which was never an option. We were somewhat limited by BMG I believe who owned most of the songs at the time, they agreed to the deal of letting us put it out if it was Terry's material and if a chunk of the money went to charity. Then David Edwards released his making it seem like we just didn't approve of his song, which was not the case at all, it just didn't fall into the agreed upon terms.

Thats the short version. It dragged on for a couple years if I remember correctly, and there are a lot of stories I am leaving out.

10-22-2011 07:02 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I think it was only around a year.. maybe slightly more.

The majority of the artists that contributed were good to deal with though. There were a lot of people that were very supportive. It just kept getting bogged down by people that had little to do with it, but wanted to control everything.

Its always a fun CD for me to listen to... the goal was not to improve upon the songs or to make definitive versions of them, it was just for each artist to spin it in their own style or take a fresh look at the song. On that level, I think its a fun disc to hear. There are some "dream come true" moments there also - like getting Stonehill to cover "Beautiful One." I remember thinking he should do that one when Fearful Symmetry first came out... it was very cool to be able to make it happen a number of years later.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
10-22-2011 13:52 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Administrator

Yeah, the process was just so long and tedious.

We did pretty much in all aspects let the artists pick their songs and choose how they portrayed them. A few artists went out of their way to make some really cool tracks in my opinion.

Larry Norman sent us the version that is on the CD first, and then when we were sending it off to manufacture.. he sent two more versions, one of which he said he wanted on the CD instead. He said it rocked, but that was quite an overstatement. Plus it was really too late to change it. His is kind of a novelty track more or less.

10-22-2011 16:17 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
sondance sondance is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-220.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2006

freudenstein:

zoh, 'oo found zer catten bitin not much to 'er likings, no? in shpite off all der verk by all deez folks 'oo ver unable to moven beyonden dis violashuns off 'err private spaces... de catten represented der most ewil attackenspiel off 'err WAH, dat japaneesen peaceful shtuffs, vich en dat circumshtanchialism tore into 'err wery innermoschtist soulish being, yes?

Psalm 119:83
10-22-2011 19:16 sondance is offline Homepage of sondance Search for Posts by sondance Add sondance to your Buddy List
Eis Eis is a male
Official Impasto

images/avatars/avatar-120.gif

Registration Date: 03-18-2002
Location: One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind...

I think DAS did record the definitive version of "Through The Speakers."

Which I heard on Spotify.
10-23-2011 15:04 Eis is offline Send an Email to Eis Homepage of Eis Search for Posts by Eis Add Eis to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

16 H.P. David Edwards?

10-23-2011 16:36 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
icon_red icon_red is a male
Normal Noggin

Registration Date: 05-21-2010

I think it was the 80's artist David Edwards...this guy

icon_red has attached this image (reduced version):
david edwards 1.jpg

10-23-2011 18:13 icon_red is offline Search for Posts by icon_red Add icon_red to your Buddy List
PuP

Remind me never to get into the music business...

10-23-2011 19:06 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Homepage of PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
sprinklerhead sprinklerhead is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 12-11-2003

Thread Starter Thread Started by sprinklerhead

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
So you now know you can't rest since you didn't buy it earlier? But then you say you'd never play it again.. seems like a contradiction. You liked it or not?

That release was the most irritating project I have ever worked on.

Typo. Should have read "can".

And I'm wondering where the lions are...
I'm wondering where the lions are...
10-24-2011 13:47 sprinklerhead is offline Send an Email to sprinklerhead Homepage of sprinklerhead Search for Posts by sprinklerhead Add sprinklerhead to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Thank God for Spotify

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH