Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » MWS rips off TST » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page MWS rips off TST 4 Votes - Average Rating: 3.254 Votes - Average Rating: 3.254 Votes - Average Rating: 3.25
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

He's got some bulletins on the radio
You turn the beatles up instead

08-30-2008 00:37 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Registration Date: 06-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Even if the writer of "New Halleluiah" is aware of "Author of the Story," it's not such a rip-off. He even used a suspended note that's not in AotS. If this was a rip-off, Bo Diddley would have been a very, very rich man.
09-02-2008 08:05 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

...and Vanilla Ice didn't rip off Queen and David Bowie.... Roll Eyes

09-02-2008 09:15 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

What Vanilla Ice did, directly sampling a bass line from a song and adding a single-note anacrusis, is complete different from this. Even if the person who developed the guitar part for "New Halleluiah" did base his riff on AtoS, it has several differences: it starts on the beat where AtoS does not, it repeats the lowest note in the middle, and it has a suspension near the end.

Edit: just listened again. The lowest note repeats twice during the riff.

And even if this were the same riff, shouldn't it really be: Unnamed Guitarist rips off Greg Flesch?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Jimmy Brown: 09-03-2008 09:47.

09-03-2008 09:42 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

quote:
And even if this were the same riff, shouldn't it really be: Unnamed Guitarist rips off Greg Flesch?

Maybe. I'm not sure who's idea the TAotS guitar riff was (Terry or Greg) or how much creative control MWS had on ANH. So it still could be MWS ripping off TST.

Even so, I still don't see how it's different than the Vanilla Ice thing. You change one small thing and it's wrong. You change three small things and it's ok? Everyone I've played ANH for has agreed that the guitar riffs are (basically) the same.

09-03-2008 10:08 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Jimmy Brown
Ceremonial Kernel

Okay, let's assume "New Hallelujah" is in the same key as "Author of the Story". Sorry I can't write out the rhythm in proper notation. As a substitute, beats given as 1 1+ 2 2+ etc., pitch letter occuring on that beat following the number.

Author of the Story: 3+ G 4+ G | 1 D 3 B 3+ C 4+ B |

New Hallelujah: 1 G 1+ G 2 D 3 G 3+ D 4+ G | 1 C 2 B

As much as I like Greg's playing, he doesn't own the open fifth. If you want a spacious, soaring sound, that's the interval you emphasize. Aaron Copland and Richard Strauss taught us that. Big Grin Until pop music abandons functional tonality, there are only so many ways to do this.

Greg's line is less rhythmically active, but more syncopated.

In addition, "New Hallelujah" pretty much sits on the tonic chord for at least the first part. AtoS obviously does not.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Jimmy Brown: 09-03-2008 16:32.

09-03-2008 16:27 Jimmy Brown is offline Search for Posts by Jimmy Brown Add Jimmy Brown to your Buddy List
navfox navfox is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

images/avatars/avatar-448.gif

Registration Date: 06-17-2002

it sounds alike a little like it but to me its different, Nothing like Vanilla Ice rip.
09-03-2008 16:46 navfox is offline Send an Email to navfox Homepage of navfox Search for Posts by navfox Add navfox to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for navfox
Ron E Ron E is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-388.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

I just heard this song the other day and had to read this thread that I'd ignored before. It reminds me of this thread...

77s thread

12-13-2008 15:40 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Ron E: Nearly as funny as the above! YIM Account Name of Ron E: Ow my ribs
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

Mad Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

shame on all of you who listen to mws to begin with!

Tongue

Cool
12-14-2008 01:23 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
Mountain Fan Mountain Fan is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-114.jpg

Registration Date: 10-09-2003

i cannot believe any good, self-respecting DA fan would really listen to MWS Tongue

Got a few miles left ...

Make sure you have heard a Kind Word! Happy
12-14-2008 09:53 Mountain Fan is offline Send an Email to Mountain Fan Search for Posts by Mountain Fan Add Mountain Fan to your Buddy List
Ceremonial Kernel

I hear the song on the radio sometimes (my wife likes to listen to KLOVE).

What bothers me is that MWS gets all sorts of recognition and money, and TST--the real genius--gets almost nothing. I really don't care that someone borrowed from DA (or if DA borrowed from someone else), but MWS is kind of the poster boy of CCM and he'll get a Dove award and maybe a Grammy and a nice paycheck. Terry, on the other hand, who has been one of a few progressive minds in CCM, got barely any notice and certainly is squeaking by financially.

It's a reminder of the shame of it all, because we all know Terry deserves much more.

That's how I take it.

12-14-2008 17:28 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
joey joey is a male
Platyhelminth

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 01-08-2003
Location: the biggest fans are often the biggest critics ... sometimes taken as complaining ... get used to it. :P - mountain fan

don't tell anybody but my wife listens to him too............ Shocked

but you are 100% right........... Frown Confused

Cool
12-14-2008 17:36 joey is offline Send an Email to joey Homepage of joey Search for Posts by joey Add joey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of joey: beatmenace777 YIM Account Name of joey: joey_t_2005 View the MSN Profile for joey
James
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 01-09-2007

I saw MWS up close at GMA Week back in the late '90s. He was very orange. God only knows what color he is now.
12-15-2008 18:19 James is offline Search for Posts by James Add James to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » MWS rips off TST

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH