Daniel Amos Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Secret Scripts & 3D Glasses » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Secret Scripts & 3D Glasses
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
RoxxRegime
Unsullied Affiche

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2008

Secret Scripts & 3D Glasses Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wow! What a great song! Were there ANY other bands writing lyrics like this? What was the church's (in general) reaction at the time? These lyrics still hit home today, maybe even more than in the 70's. Once again, of course, owing to the genius of Terry! Tongue
05-02-2008 21:15 RoxxRegime is offline Search for Posts by RoxxRegime Add RoxxRegime to your Buddy List
RoxxRegime
Unsullied Affiche

images/avatars/avatar-278.jpg

Registration Date: 03-09-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by RoxxRegime
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Aw, come on, I know some of you were around back then! Smile
05-11-2008 09:12 RoxxRegime is offline Search for Posts by RoxxRegime Add RoxxRegime to your Buddy List
wakachiwaka wakachiwaka is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-484.gif

Registration Date: 07-26-2007

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well, I for one had never heard of DA at the time that song was being performed - and I specify the "performance" aspect because the song had never been released commercially until Preachers From Outer Space came out in the '90s, so only those who attended a DA concert would have been aware of the song at all, and this was during the "lost" years while Horrendous Disc was lingering in limbo.

Also, at that time "real" Christian rock music was still a very underground phenomenon - the popular "Contemporary" Christian music of the day was defined by the likes of Evie, Dallas Holm, and the Bill Gaither Trio (and in some circles, even those artists were considered highly controversial!). The closest thing to satire one would be likely to hear was (courtesy of the Imperials):

Well it won't be ol' Buddha that's sittin' on the throne,
And it won't be Muhammed that calls his children home,
And it won't be HAAA-re Krishna [sic] that plays that trumpet tune,
And we're going to see the Son, not Reverend Moon.

Of course, now that I think of it, that lyric probably would have been right at home on DA's first LP. Tongue

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by wakachiwaka: 05-11-2008 09:41.

05-11-2008 09:39 wakachiwaka is offline Search for Posts by wakachiwaka Add wakachiwaka to your Buddy List
ctrups ctrups is a male
Dark Steamy Cabbage

Registration Date: 04-02-2008

Most Churches shunned anything that didn't fit their idea of what a christian artist or band should be.

Calvary Costa Mesa accepted bands that were on the cutting edge and featured them in their Saturday Night concert outreach ministry.

I went to a private Christian High School(Melodyland)(And yes I know shocker of all shockers I'm LDS now) and my senior year I tried to get the school to let the band Undercover play sometime at a school event. Joey(Ojo) had told me they would do the show for free.

The school principle just about choked when I loaned him my albums and my write up on why the school should have the band play.

His explaination to me was he felt that that type of music was geared towards witnessing to rough crowds in rough neighborhoods.

He didn't realize that that was what he had going on at his school at the time.

DEAN
05-11-2008 10:15 ctrups is offline Search for Posts by ctrups Add ctrups to your Buddy List
Dr Rich Dr Rich is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-601.jpg

Registration Date: 03-15-2002

quote:
Originally posted by wakachiwaka
The closest thing to satire one would be likely to hear was (courtesy of the Imperials):

Of course, now that I think of it, that lyric probably would have been right at home on DA's first LP. Tongue

Or Bob Dylan! Shocked

"Sister, lemme tell you about a vision I saw.
You were drawing water for your husband, you were suffering under the law.
You were telling him about Buddha, you were telling him about Mohammed
in the same breath.
You never mentioned one time the Man who came and died a criminal's death."

05-11-2008 20:24 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
voxrob
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 09-02-2003

RE: Secret Scripts & 3D Glasses Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

One band in the MM! stable that seemed to have some of the same loopy sensibilities -- I'm not sure how much they were really influenced by DA -- was Aslan. They had one memorable evolution-related song and they had other songs that took a wry look at the world around them rather than simply just evangelizing. You can see what's left of that band here:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/crparavel/
05-12-2008 14:26 voxrob is offline Send an Email to voxrob Search for Posts by voxrob Add voxrob to your Buddy List
Audiori J Audiori J is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-103.jpg

Registration Date: 11-27-2004
Location: "Clowns to the left of me! Jokers to the right! Here I AM stuck in the middle with you." - Stealers Wheel

Aslan played a lot of te same fests and events as DA back in the early days.

05-12-2008 15:36 Audiori J is offline Send an Email to Audiori J Search for Posts by Audiori J Add Audiori J to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-101.jpg

Registration Date: 03-12-2002

One of them also played keyboards on Shotgun Angel.. uncredited.

"A strange fanaticism fills our time: the fanatical hatred of morality, especially of Christian morality." - GK Chesterton
05-12-2008 18:27 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Homepage of audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Cool.
Never heard of them.

05-14-2008 18:18 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
jon eddies jon eddies is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 10-29-2007

Aslan Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have heard of them but never heard any of their music.
05-14-2008 23:24 jon eddies is offline Send an Email to jon eddies Search for Posts by jon eddies Add jon eddies to your Buddy List
Myron Myron is a male
Sublime Brain Puppet

Registration Date: 11-03-2004

RE: Aslan Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Think of a cross between Queen and Glad, at least the one track of their's that I heard reminded me of that
05-15-2008 00:23 Myron is offline Send an Email to Myron Search for Posts by Myron Add Myron to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Ubique Epoque

images/avatars/avatar-522.jpg

Registration Date: 09-19-2002

Could be cool. Confused Cool Cool Confused

05-15-2008 06:47 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Homepage of dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
jon eddies jon eddies is a male
Mind Peach

Registration Date: 10-29-2007

aslan Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

check out oneway.org(no www) for a lot of the old Jesus Music from that era. It has a good perspective on a lot of it, including Daniel Amos.
05-15-2008 18:52 jon eddies is offline Send an Email to jon eddies Search for Posts by jon eddies Add jon eddies to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

Cool

05-15-2008 19:26 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Ritchie_az Ritchie_az is a male
Ceremonial Kernel

images/avatars/avatar-291.jpg

Registration Date: 07-02-2008

I'm working the Graveyard shift... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

...and discovered some ghost from the past.

My dad had the Imperials cassette that this song was on. He thought it was "too wild." (He still listens to the Gaithers).
Wow....
This thread is some ghost from the past, too. I'm bored. I'm working the midnight shift. You'll see more of this tonight.

07-05-2008 00:39 Ritchie_az is offline Search for Posts by Ritchie_az Add Ritchie_az to your Buddy List
Ubique Epoque

LOL!

Cool Nice to someone else who posting a lot here! Cool

07-05-2008 06:50 Dr Rich is offline Send an Email to Dr Rich Search for Posts by Dr Rich Add Dr Rich to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Daniel Amos Message Board » DA Related Discussion » General Discussion » Secret Scripts & 3D Glasses

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH